Looking to shave lift gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
nice looking truck. need to ask a question and don't know how to post it. so I'll ask you. I have a 2007 chevy tahoe ltz. my side view mirrors do not fold anymore with the button. so I'd like to change them. my problem is I can't seem to find one I have online aftermarket with auto dim. The dealer wants to much. I would like to purchase one with all the other options in it and remove the my original mirror with the auto dim and put it in the new housing. My issue is I don't know if the auto dim will work. Would happen to know? Or know someone who does.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@timy

No worries. Can't help you really with this question exactly.

However to start a new thread, go to the forum button at the top left , scroll down to the appropriate year section and find the topic that best suits this question and post up your year with a descriptive title in that year section.

This way the NNBS 07-14 guys will pay attention and chime in.

This thread focused on NBS 00-06 regarding just the lift gate shave so the viewing numbers will be less for your question.

Give that a try and good luck.

Last edited:

timy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@timy

No worries. Can't help you really with this question exactly.

However to start a new thread go to the forum button at top left , scroll down to the appropriate year section and find the topic that best suits this question and post up your year ion with descriptive title in that year section.

This way the NNBS 07-14 guys will pay attention and chime in.

This thread focused on NBS 00-06 regarding just the lift gate shave so the viewing numbers will be less for your question.

Give that a try and good luck.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't a "true" shave by removal, fill and fair, but figured I'd post it up for you see in the meantime.

I've seen a couple other guys on here shaved completely smooth, but no reports based on what you are asking. Even with the plugs, it has not let me down since last fall and achieved removing that dangling branch wiper right now to satisfy that urge. Good luck

View attachment 61209
What did you plug it with? I want to ditch mine.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TheAutumnWind

All plugs came from Lowe's. I cannot recall the actual sizes and I did not write them down. Sorry, I usually make sure and keep that info.

The big plug for the wiper arm is actually a body panel plug that fits on the under hood heat shield. The smaller one to the right for the washer tube is just another random size. Both of these plugs look like this. I pulled off the panel on the inside of the lift gate and then used some nylon washers so no corrosion opportunities and slid them up nice and snug against the body on the inside. The ribs keeps the washer from backing down and a snug fit. Plenty of black silicone sealant on the outside and inside to keep the water out.

45479-007.jpg aclk-1.jpg

The plugs for the wiper bracket are all the same size and look like this. They snapped into the hole as they have those very small (2) clips on the side that don't allow the plug to pop out unless you squeeze them. No chance of putting a washer on the back to secure it tight like above, so I just used plenty of black silicone sealant to make that tight seal. I have not had any issues to date, other than a little bit of paint that peeled off under the wiper arm on the big hole upon removal and the indent in the paint as you can see by the 3 small plugs. Still wasn't enough to keep me from deleting that dangling branch. Looks so much better without it. I never used it and did the same thing with the OnStar antenna.

aclk.jpg

I sanded, primed, painted and cleared all the plugs to match. Pretty quick, easy and cheap to do this mod. Good luck!

IMG_8803.JPG

OP
OP
D

Duramax05blk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely recommend it. It looks so much better than stock and it's never even been a slight inconvenience for me. I live in Ohio, and we get plenty of snow, rain, and whatever else. The rear window has never gotten dirty enough that I needed the wiper though. Here's mine

4D519C7D-D15A-40B0-8675-5BAB04FC39C9_zpsspkibskv.jpg
What route did you go to fill holes? I got everything removed just haven't decided how to best fill holes yet to avoid possible filler sinking

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I want to shave my rear wiper on my 2006. I have never used it in the year and 4 months I've had my truck. And I'm a detailer so my window always get cleaned anyways. What do I need to put in the spot where the super motor is mounted to my tailgate? And how is that little mount for the ar mounted to the tailgate? Is it glued or bolted in?

OhioHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Duramax05blk
I just cut out some pieces from a scrap aluminum hood, placed them on the back side of the gate, welded them in, and grinded smooth. I still have a pic luckily.

A51BE167-8147-4ACC-9FA9-36EE5A8AF432_zpsgttwkvtq.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EliCamarillo