Looking to add to the herd, advice sought...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking to pick up another truck.... because two isn’t enough.

Got a line on a 1999 Yukon

Says it’s got a new engine, that he installed a long block from GM a while back, took it into a shop to have the work finished up. New water pump, timing set, etc

Less than 50mi since new engine, rest of the truck has 160k

Looks to be in good shape, price is right even without the engine work

SO...

What do I need to watch out for here?
New engine installed and not run for a while, then only has a handful of miles on it?

Seems suspicious to me. Why would you spend so much money to do the work and not drive it?
Will that lack of use cause any problems for me when it becomes a daily driver?

Anything I should look for when I test drive it?

I’m used to old beaters, I never buy a car for more than $3k or less than 150k... I’m in unfamiliar territory here

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did it sit and did they say why? There could be a reasonable explanation there.

But, unless I read it wrong, you said the previous owner did the actual removal and installation but had to have a shop do such minor bolt-up work such as a water pump?

To me, that would sound like someone having a health issue and being unable to complete the work on their own. A reputable seller could elaborate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the whole story yet. He had it listed on another local forum (unrelated to cars, etc) so it's not quite as bad as craigslist or something.

Ill have a look at it this weekend.

He said that the shop did the wore harness, etc. not sure what else. Ill see the paperwork on it all.

He had the truck two years, but not sure if that's how long the engine sat.

Worst case, the engine was installed two years ago and the finish work was done January of 2018

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....or after doing the motor the tranny had issues

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO I checked it out today

The truck was never really a daily driver for him, has had it for about 5 years

Took it in to get the top end done... upon seeing the quote, he decided that it would be better to spend the $$$ and replace the whole thing

Ordered a long block from GM and swapped it out.... sat in the garage for a while. Lost interest in the project and towed it in to a shop to finish connecting everything.
Put it up for sale shortly thereafter.

Truck itself was in good shape not body issues except for a cracked door handle.
Interior was sharp too, grey cloth, no trouble there.

Only other issues i noted were warped brake rotor, gearshift indicator is off (shows reverse when in Neutral, shows neutral when in drive), AC doesnt work.

Engine compartment was clean, but not washed... no leaks, though the underside of the truck shows signs of a previous leak. Drove like a ***** ape. Ive driven a few 98-00 tahoe/yukon/escalade and this one gets up and goes.

So it seems legit right now. AND.. for under $3000 I really cant complain too much... I think Ill go for it

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...could be a jewel,...test dive ? Listen for abnormal sounds in the engine,.. good luck

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, its done.

I bought it.

Looks like this guy had a couple of blown cylinders... got quoted over $4k to install a reman engine....

He decided that since he did some engine swaps way back when, that he would get an engine and do it himself...

Ordered a GM Goodwrench longblock from Jegs for $2k and put it in.... hooked up a few things wrong and had the dizzy in wrong...
Took it to the shop and had them sort it all out. Has had about 200 miles on it since then.

The shop he went to is a local chain, seem to have good rep. I put about 50 miles on it coming home. No problems with the engine.

Few things I noticed.

*Warped rotor... replaced the rotors and pads when I got home, good to go.
*Shift indicator is off beat.
*Oil pressure gauge is broken, lays flat to the right. Maybe sensor not connected?
*Steering feels loose, like an old Ford... Not sure how else to describe it? Normally when you let go of the wheel it will naturally begin to straighten out, this one will not. Feels jerky maybe?
*Coolant leak up front, maybe a hose? Radiator is said to be new as well. 3" diameter puddle right under the radiator after 10min idle.
*4wd controls do not light up, though the truck will go into 4wd... no indicator light at all on the button.

Thats it for now.

The body is in great shape, no flaws to be seen. Interior is just as well.
Not too bad for $3k

Ill post some pics later

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks clean...
I believe that yr 5.7 came with CPI,.. If it hasnt been done already, youll wanna change that spider up to the updated MPI

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
champion313