Looking for a gm tech 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tractionlesscolt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am getting mixed reviews of the China gm tech 2 and the authentic ones.
I want to be able to make adjustments to the ecu in my 03 tahoe and 03 denali and other things as well.
I am seeing that the knock offs can do this and I am seeing that they can not do this. Which brings me here!

Who better to ask then the community that knows about them.

If a knock off will do everything an original will do can you put up a link to one that works well?
If not is anyone selling a genuine tech 2 unit?

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are used genuine units on ebay. They're still much more expensive than the copies.

joe

OP
OP
T

Tractionlesscolt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just want to make sure my firmware it up to date on ecu and on my tcase control module. Nothing too serious. But you know the saying it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one key difference I see between the clones-vs-original is the power module, on the clones the power module will not stay powered when the key is cycled in the ignition.
the work-around for this is easy and cheap, you just plug in a 12v dc power supply to a wall cord and you are golden no more worries about the clone tech2 power cycling during delicate procedures such as a evap test. the only time to be concerned about that small issue is when doing tests or procedures that require the tech2 to remain powered during a cycle of the ignition otherwise they work just like a real one and do all the same things.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to make sure my firmware it up to date on ecu and on my tcase control module. Nothing too serious. But you know the saying it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it!

You can do that and probably would not even have to go online if you can get the TIS2000 software to work on your computer. When you say mixed reviews, do you mean a few lines down by saying some can program and some cannot?

the one key difference I see between the clones-vs-original is the power module, on the clones the power module will not stay powered when the key is cycled in the ignition.
the work-around for this is easy and cheap, you just plug in a 12v dc power supply to a wall cord and you are golden...

The same power supply used in the other Tech-2 machines is available on ebay for about $15 too. I'll probably pick one up soon just to have it for a rainy day or boredom.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do that and probably would not even have to go online if you can get the TIS2000 software to work on your computer. When you say mixed reviews, do you mean a few lines down by saying some can program and some cannot?

The same power supply used in the other Tech-2 machines is available on ebay for about $15 too. I'll probably pick one up soon just to have it for a rainy day or boredom.
let me know which one that is, I cant solder (delicate stuff) for the life of me but I could have someone else put it in.

OP
OP
T

Tractionlesscolt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's exactly what I mean swath. I read reviews on certain ones and it says do not buy does not do this or that then a few comments down someone else says does everything the original does blah blah blah I just dont want to buy something that ends up being a piece of junk.

Doubelieve that's exactly what I needed to know.

Is there a recommended seller to buy from or a recommended website to use?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I mean swath. I read reviews on certain ones and it says do not buy does not do this or that then a few comments down someone else says does everything the original does blah blah blah I just dont want to buy something that ends up being a piece of junk.

Doubelieve that's exactly what I needed to know.

Is there a recommended seller to buy from or a recommended website to use?
I would just look on ebay and see who has a sold a number of them, I paid about $350 for mine with a usb key to unlock the software (no storage case), they charge about $50 extra for the case which I didn't find necessary. the guy I bought from only sells them occasionally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsu31