Long Tube Headers and Inspection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have long tube headers and live in a state with emission inspections, how do you pass without having a catalytic converter? I'm in NC where you are required to have one but really want to run a set of LT's into true duals with a X-pipe into dynomax bullet mufflers.

I was looking at getting Speed Engineering's headers and ORY but wanted to see if anyone had a solution to catalytic converters.

Also, Speed Engineering LT's don't have the EGR fitting's. What do you do about fixing that issue?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive around to all the local inspection places while looking for 24's on a wine red caddy With some spokes, and the most corn rows possible.
Walk in and say I'm here to buy a sticker.

Has worked for the last 12 years. Lol all you want, pay that cash and your GTG.

Or have a tuner in your pocket who can shut off all the bs codes so the scanner won't sniff out your powaaa!

Last edited:

chevync

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taylor, from what I understand NC is doing away with the emission inspection next year.
And Doug, LOL, you can't just buy a sticker in NC everything is electronic In NC now, no stickers on your windshield. They hook to your OBD2 port and everything goes straight to the NCDMV, If you have a 95 or older you can get by with just a safety inspection.

OP
OP
BlueTahoe2001

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to double check some things real quick...

If I buy a set of LT's from Speed Engineering it states that their LT's are "Race Version" so I'll need to remove the EGR system and cap it off at the intake. How about the O2 sensors? I see one spot for the O2 on the one header in the picture of them on their website but aren't there more O2 sensors to be plugged back in?

I'm a little confused on how to get around removing the O2 sensors or what to do about this.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are locations for both front 02 sensors, but not the rears.

Two options.

Turn off the trouble code via tune
Or
Deal with the check engine light on dash.
It will not affect performance at all.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get LTs and get some high flow spun cats (they're very small) and put them close to the factory location, you should be good for your inspection.
Like said, tuning out the sensors is the best route or you can have some bungs welded in and just plug them in :)

Deal with the check engine light on dash.
It will not affect performance at all.

But, it will effect his inspection. You are not allowed to have any CEL while getting your inspection in NC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924