Lightning Cable/HDMI Hardwire *clean*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulb55

Reaction score
Hi,
Like many of you I wanted to add HDMI to my Esky, however, I had a 2016 and I HATED having cables everywhere. I took what some folks have done with the hdmi-RCA conversion and made it clean.
I originally was going to go with an Apple TV, however, even with the latest version it relied on wifi to stream videos and the buffering and boot up was just a pain. Also, the device that is streaming it still needed to be connected, so this killed two birds at the same time.

To remove the rear panel, just lift where I circled and pull up:

image.jpg

This is what you get:

image.jpg

See the mini USB connection on the GM harness:
image.jpg

So, my idea was to get 90deg rca cables run them down through the pocket and out the back, then into the converter. So I needed power for the converter AND the ipod, so I went with an amazon USB hub, an mini USB adapter to standard USB, made the connection and used the hub to power the ipod, the converter and ran a cable to the USB port on the dash to retain the factory USB port as well as the card reader that I will never use.

I first went with a short rca cable and just grabbed some 90 deg bends, bad idea, the were crap and I kept losing connection, so go with a single cable.

After it was all buttoned up, I ran the Lightning extension cable up to the armrest hinge and it now sits in the glove box with only the 3 rca cables showing on the panel.
Hope this helps.

If you dont want to use apple devices, you can just use a longer HDMI cable and run it along the same path.

image.jpg

I used a small drill bit to get the hole started then a dremel to route out the opening to fit my cables.

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job. On my install, I found the harness for the 3 RCA inputs Stripped back to sheathing and soldered onto them. Then used the PAC RCA to HDMI cable for my Apple TV. I also added a power switch so I could still use the RCA inputs.

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Reaction score
Yeah, thought about that. Its my wife's ride and I didnt have the time to figure out which wires were the correct ones. I though about just building a harness that would interface between the connection and make it work that way. if you have pictures or a diagram, please share.

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will see the white 12 pin harness where the RCAs plug in. Unplug it. With the clip on top count the pins from left to right you need pins 4,5,6,11 and 12. Pin 4 is the right audio in. 5 is the left audio in. 6 is the video in. 11 is the audio ground or common. 12 is the video ground or common. Now what I used was PAC audio HDMI to RCA cable and 3 RCA to speaker cables. With your multimeter verify which wire goes to the center pin on the RCA to speaker wires you get. Solder the wire going to the center pin of your first cable to wire going to pin 4. On your second cable center pin wire to wire going to pin 5. You should have the 2 wires left not soldered on. Solder them on to pin 11. Your last RCA to speaker wire solder the center pin wire to pin 6 and the other wire to pin 12. Heat shrink and tape as needed. You now have a set of RCA inputs hidden. So with your new hidden inputs you can now use the HDMI to RCA cable of your choice. You can get your 12 volts from wires going to the 12 volt outlet on the back of the console. I used the Apple TV tear down on www.ifixit.com they show where the 120volt to 12volt connection are. It's the 2 screws that hold the boards together. If you plan on using the RCA hook up on the back of the console I would recommend a power switch for the Apple TV since you are technically still using the same inputs. I haven't tried the powered HDMI to RCA converters they sell on Amazon yet. Not sure if the video output is any better or not.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Reaction score
With the AppleTV, when I used mine I used the 112 power port for trial and I think that was the issue with waiting for it to boot.
I planed on going the same route as you to switch to DC, where did you power yours from and is it always on or switched?

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the AppleTV, when I used mine I used the 112 power port for trial and I think that was the issue with waiting for it to boot.
I planed on going the same route as you to switch to DC, where did you power yours from and is it always on or switched?
Mine is switched. I installed a toggle in the center console. This was incan turn it off and still use the RCA inputs if I wanted too.

cams

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
nice.. so this allows you to mirror your iphone on the rear overhead screen?
How are you powering the converter?