Lifting VS. Lowering - Ride quality questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLWEvan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the two kits in question here are the 2/3-4 Belltech Lowering kit, or the Rough Country 2" leveling kit.

So, i recently bought a 2010 LT 2WD as a daily driver that will have to get me from Florida to Michigan at least a couple times a year, and around town the rest of the time.
I have always loved the way the NNBS tahoes look, clean lines, tough front and back. And they look great either lifted or dropped subtly.

So here's where my problem lies; I really want to do one or the other to the truck, and both have their merits. Lifting would be nice for when I'm up north in the winter and need to clear my way out of snowy situations BUT it would suck to park in my condo's parking garage in Florida the rest of the year
Lowering would make it less of an imposing vehicle on the road, and lets be honest the tahoe looks tough when it looses a little ground clearance. BUT in the snow I might get in trouble.

That said, it really comes down to which one of the two offers the closest to stock ride quality, or even an improvement.
I have had lifted (body lifted) trucks in the past and definitely could tell a noticeable loss of ride quality
I have lowered almost every sports car I have ever owned, and that always inherently comes with a loss of ride quality.

So i'll leave it to you to tell me what you think. If i want to go one direction or another, and everything else in the world is equal, when its your butt on the line (literally), which one is the more comfortable ride?

:)

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I know from a friend who lowered his esky that the rear spring drop gives a different ride quality. Not sure how much or how bad but maybe somebody can chime in on that subject. As far as 2" level that is no ride quality difference. The rear stays stock and the front end uses all stock parts just a little spacer goes under the strut. So keeping the ride stock would be level kit.

1clean08denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 denali and did the 2-3 kit and went to 285 45 22 tire and the ride quality imo is still great, just recently did the end link kit and air bags in the rear springs so when I tow it adds a little more comfort. I'm coming from a lifted 2500hd on 35's and there is no comparison hahaha. In the long run you have to think to yourself what look your actually looking for. Tony from tbss owners will get you all hooked up on parts. Good luck keep us posted.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently running a 2/3 drop on 294/35/24s and feel no loss in ride quality. I used to own a 04 with a 5/7 and of course with that there's a big difference. If anything my truck has less body roll and feels like it handles somewhat better

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They ride like crap stock. Pretty sure that will only get worse if you go up. The 07+ kit from Tony was BY FAR the best money I spent on the truck. Doesn't feel like an American floating barge anymore. Brakes were next as the stockers blow goats.

In normal driving situations I wish it were more firm. On crappy roads it is about where it needs to be.

And as for the snow, mine is a daily driver in MN and I see no reason for a lift in snow. Without snow tires you aren't going through 12" of snow anyways so having clearance for it is silly. I still take mine out on the lake to ice fish and have zero problems.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd and a daily? Drop it. Free travel mod and spindles with good shocks and it will ride better than stock.

OP
OP
FLWEvan

FLWEvan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for that! I have some reading to do

I'm certainly still up in the air about which direction i want to go with the truck, but there is a ton of great info here!

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem :)

I think a lowered truck is definitely more favored for comfort and handling over a lifted truck. Especially for a DDer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StayStoney