Lifting a 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
memphizhoe

memphizhoe

Reaction score
A little late to the show but if you were going to lift it there are man options.

1. any 4x4 kit will work the same for a 2wd because they both are torsion sprung you just don't have to worry about the difirential on the install.

2. you can go as easily as doing spindles and keys in the front to give you 3+ inches but some rough angles depending on how hard you crank and then either z71 coils in the rear or a lift coil/spacer.

3. I am currently lifting a 2wd at the moment. I went with a 6" procomp kit because it drops the factory knuckles and I can add lift spindles down the road to get a little more lift if I want.

4. the amont of lift depends on how wide of a rim you are wanting to run. A 33 isn't hard to clear on a narrow rim but if you wanted more "stance" then you have to go up more.

All that said I do like your truck lowered. But it's all up to you. @Atomic makes a good looking kit too.

Thanks man ! I’ve been researching a lot on the coil over kit. I hoping it will work out well for me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grim hurst

Reaction score
A little late to the show but if you were going to lift it there are man options.

1. any 4x4 kit will work the same for a 2wd because they both are torsion sprung you just don't have to worry about the difirential on the install.

2. you can go as easily as doing spindles and keys in the front to give you 3+ inches but some rough angles depending on how hard you crank and then either z71 coils in the rear or a lift coil/spacer.

3. I am currently lifting a 2wd at the moment. I went with a 6" procomp kit because it drops the factory knuckles and I can add lift spindles down the road to get a little more lift if I want.

4. the amont of lift depends on how wide of a rim you are wanting to run. A 33 isn't hard to clear on a narrow rim but if you wanted more "stance" then you have to go up more.

All that said I do like your truck lowered. But it's all up to you. @Atomic makes a good looking kit too.
Mostly 4x4 kits work with 2 wd? I didnt know that. I currently have a level pro comp and i have 285’s 10 wides. So could i buy a 6” lift and have it stacked on level or no?

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly 4x4 kits work with 2 wd? I didnt know that. I currently have a level pro comp and i have 285’s 10 wides. So could i buy a 6” lift and have it stacked on level or no?

Without having to worry about CV or front driveline angles, I don't see why not. And, as mentioned before, you have the added option of going with lift spindles too. Conceivably, you could run the 6" kit, with 4" spindles, and a 3" body lift, and be 13" over stock, without even adding in the added height of going from the stock 32" tires to the 40" tires you'd be able to easily clear, maybe even 44's. Regearing the rear would be a must, 5.13's minimum.

Wide price difference going from 3" spindles to 4" spindles:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Lift-Spi...ash=item283f8c0d86:g:KmUAAOSwyLFZuiRW&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-07-Ch...ash=item419a0672d1:g:9zEAAOSwRoZZigh9&vxp=mtr

73impala

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct the 2wd tahoes are torsion sprung just like the 4wd tahoe silverados. So even a Silverado lift will work for the front.

Now the lift spindles will only work with lift kit that drops the uca and spindle down. A lot of lift kits keep the UCA in the factory location and include spindles.

Junkpile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know a bunch of guys riding around in shiny lifted 4x4s that would be better off with lifted 2wds. Some people just want the look. All of those guys with the "layed backs", or whatever they call them, could have built 2wds instead and they would be better off for it.

One of my first truck projects was a 2wd 90 Ford Ranger with 8.5" of lift in front and 6" in the rear, riding on 31s with a locked 4.10:1 geared rear diff, and a SVO built 2.3l four banger. It was fast, reliable, good looking, and cheaper to build than a 4x4. It was no trail vehicle, but it did okay offroad in mild sand and mud. It was a fun play toy, and I will probably end up with another lifted 2wd one day.

That said, yours looks good as it is, so I don't think you can go wrong either way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick