Lifter tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cj5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all I have a 2007 suburban with the 5.3 and so when ever I start it it has what sounds like a lifter tick until the oil psi gets going is there and thing I can add to help that from damaging or wearing anything out prematurely also it seems to use about 2.5 quarts per oil change is there a different oil I should use I'm using 5-30 full synthetic as it says to use thanks

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats either piston slap or lifter tick.
No way other than a rebuild to stop piston slap, but dont worry about it. Its very common in these engines.

Lifter tick can however be solved most of the time with a variety of methods.
Simplest is to use seafoam or transmission fluid in the oil. You will want to use cheap conventional oil and a good filter while you run the seafoam or trans fluid through the engine to eliminate the lifter tick. Search seafoam in engine oil and watch the hundreds of videos, before you do anything.

You will also want to install a quality catch can. This will stop most of not all of the oil entering your engine.
You also need the revised valve cover. The part number is posted on this sote numerous times.

I would also highly recommend you remove your intake manifold and clean it out, as its full of oil. Pr use the chemical listed below.

Once you have the valve cover, catch can and intake taken care of its time to use mopar engine creep. Its a foam based cleaner that will get down into your cylinder head ports and clean them along with your valves.

Once all of that os done, change your plugs and start adding 5 gallons of E85 fuel each fill up. This will clean off your piston tops and combustion chambers.

Doing this stuff will improve your engine performance vastly.
As you can see thismisnt something that can be done in one evening, it is a month long process. The gaines are well worth it.

Good luck

OP
OP
C

cj5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I just changed the oil a few days ago so I will wait to do the sea foam trick till I'm ready to change it again and If never messed with newer motor stuff at all so how hard is it to remove the intake manifold? This is me and my wife's 1 and only car at the moment as I messed up my jeep a bit ago (mangled the cross member that hold trans up) and so the revised valve cover is only one side? and I need it to put the oil catch on? here's a pic of the jeep just cause I think its cool
7e851f22a3e9fbbb6685a33a4ccdf558.jpg
6b60c1cc2d06ce76a8203540e81edad4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbyo