Lifter noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkostop

Reaction score
My 01 Tahoe has a slight lifter noise witch I know is very common on 5.3s, I was just wonder if any of you bros have the same problem, and what can I do to prevent it. Truck has 190k and I usually put 10w-40 in it. What's the best brand of oil to use? Any advice would be appreciated.

Chizzychase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super common problem, I only have 155k and mine has the tick too.

I've heard of people putting 10w-40 in it to quiet it down. I also heard that when you change your oil you put about a 1/2 quart of atf in the motor and it will help it as well.

Now as to how true that is I have no idea, nor am I going to risk my motor to find out and I wouldn't either if I was you I just threw it out there because I had heard it from some buddies of mine.

offrdr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have almost 280, and i have the cold start tick as well, and since i don't feel like doing the heads righ now, and since i'm willing to experiment, i am going to try a couple things to get rid of the clogged lifter issue. just for fun. let you guys know.

HBNH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1. Buy a $4 bottle (32 ounces) of Marvel Mystery Oil from your local Wal-mart. 2. Replace about half to one quart of your engine oil with the same amount of MMO, and run it until your next oil change. 3. Then, go with the factory's recommended weight at 5w-30, and half a quart of MMO for when you change the oil.

The above steps did help me with my truck just last month at 230k mi, and I'm still running half a qt of MMO in mine with the recent fresh oil change. I might not do it the next change, and see what comes of it. I've also read how ATF would also work with its detergents, but that it shouldn't be left in for more than a few miles or something as such.

Reaction score
I have the tick. I usually let it warm up for a minute before I drive it. I run semi synthetic 530 oil. I just did my knock sensors. While I had the intake off, I used about a can of 2+2 on the intake ports of the heads to clean the layer of oil and dirt out of them. Also put the intake in a parts washer. Since I reassembled the engine, I haven't noticed the knock on cold starts. It's only been a couple days but so far it's gone

offrdr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1. Buy a $4 bottle (32 ounces) of Marvel Mystery Oil from your local Wal-mart. 2. Replace about half to one quart of your engine oil with the same amount of MMO, and run it until your next oil change. 3. Then, go with the factory's recommended weight at 5w-30, and half a quart of MMO for when you change the oil.

The above steps did help me with my truck just last month at 230k mi, and I'm still running half a qt of MMO in mine with the recent fresh oil change. I might not do it the next change, and see what comes of it. I've also read how ATF would also work with its detergents, but that it shouldn't be left in for more than a few miles or something as such.

yeah, i am going to do this. not doing the atf. also, in my research of MMO, and mineral oil, i don't think it's a good idea to leave it in too long as it is a lubricant but also a cleaning agent. don't want to "clean" your bearings too much. think i'm going to do it for a quick run then do oil change.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o gpt 240k on mine and ive literally tried dozens of those tips and tricks like you guys are talking about and nothing worked i even took off the valve covers and rockerarms and pushrods and squirted carb cleaner into the lifters and nothin still does it so im biting the bullet and changine out the lifters

ali saleh

Reaction score
i had same ticking noise i replaced 1 quart of oil with lucas oil stabilizer and noise is gone runs smooth and best try stay away from synthetic oils not good for our engine s they are like water at start up castrol gtx is great choice for the vortec;s engines 10w30 with lucas oil stabilizer year round.

OP
OP
nkostop

nkostop

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I think ongoing to try 10w30 for my next oil change, and maybe some lucus because I try mmo and it didn't do anything for me. I'll update when it's done

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine ticked for 2-3 seconds at cold start. I did the first oil change since I've owned it about 2,000 miles ago and used Mobil1 5W-30. It hasn't ticked since. Mine is an '09 and I'm sure the ticking had something to do with the AFM lifters. But it's still similar in build to the '00-'06 so I figured I'd add my input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n