LED tails with all LEDs as brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Which LED tails use all of the LEDs for Brake, running, and turn signal? I've asked this question in several threads and received some cryptic responses like X2 and Sonar. I have been informed by x3racing that their Sonars do not use all of the LEDs as I posted in the question above. The cut and connect method demonstrated in another thread was of a type of taillight that does not interest me.

The issue with converting the Sonar type tail is if the set of LEDs used for the turn signal is of single intensity or double intensity like the set of brake light LEDs. If the answer is yes then a pair of diodes on each side will allow me to get the look I want. If the answer is no then no amount modifying will produce the effect I want. The current OEM tails are anemic at best and I would prefer a minimum of 18 to 24 LEDs per side acting as brake or turn signals.

If someone has found some like this which utilize a rectangular matrix of LEDs, could you please post some pictures and where they may be acquired?

I've tried searching the forums but it gets frustrating when the search engine returns LED as too small a word.

TIA

Semper Fi

B:)B

OP
OP
DanangMarine68
Reaction score
Thanks, as it turns out they look exactly like these.
http://www.k2motor.com/lt-den00gled-tm.html

Nowhere in the description did it say that all the LEDs acted as brake lights, thanks for that information.

I hope you don't mind a few more questions? Are there resistors in this taillamp to avoid both the rapid flashing turn signal and the loss of cruise control? Did you have a chance to compare the intensity of the LED lights to the OEM lights? Now I have to decide which will serve me best, the smoked or the red on my Black '06 Z71. I'm leaning towards the red as I don't need the stealth look but I am a little concerned that the red may be a bit bright.

Anyway thanks again, now I have somewhere to start.

P.S. How was the fit?

Last edited:

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 Racing sells all LED tails. I have them, and I couldn't be happier! Great quality and great functionality.

rms25thta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I have to say is......GO GATORS!!!

Have a great day!

Rich

OP
OP
DanangMarine68
Reaction score
X3 Racing sells all LED tails. I have them, and I couldn't be happier! Great quality and great functionality.

Hi Chip, No offense intended but this is the cryptic type of message I was referring to in my first post. :) Do you have a model or part number or possibly a picture of your tails.

These are the tails from X3 Racing I was interested in but all of the correspondence with Sony indicated that NO, only half of the LEDs acted as brake and parking lamps and the other half acted as turn signals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV...odel:Tahoe&hash=item5199819cbd#ht_7403wt_1109

Thanks for the post anyway.

All I have to say is......GO GATORS!!!

Have a great day!

Rich

You too Rick, just another day in paradise. Here's hoping the gators come together and make it to the final 8 of the College World Series this year.

P.S. How did a Gator get stuck in NC? I had no choice when I was there, the Corps made me do it. :)

Just another rowdy reptile!

>";~~;~~~

Last edited:

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, as u said in your first post, the X3 (sonar) LEDS are only halvsies....i wish they would light up all at once but they are tons better than stock, tons brighter and cleaner so certainly worth the effort and money. if someone did find a way to make them function all at once, id be all over it.

OP
OP
DanangMarine68
Reaction score
yeah, as u said in your first post, the X3 (sonar) LEDS are only halvsies....i wish they would light up all at once but they are tons better than stock, tons brighter and cleaner so certainly worth the effort and money. if someone did find a way to make them function all at once, id be all over it.

The tails that Evan has can have each LED replaced individually by removing a back plate to access the LEDs. If the LEDs in the Sonars can be accessed from the rear as well then there may be some hope.

On the Sonars there appear to be two 12 LED blocks that are 3 high by 4 wide. The upper block is for brake and running lights so that has a three wire connection and the LEDs have a bright and dim intensity. The lower block/brick appears to use on high intensity for turn signals. I'm wondering if both block/bricks are the exact same part with the turns not having the low intensity pins connected. In mass production it would be cheaper to do it that way rather than have to tool for two differently manufactured block/bricks.

So if all of these conditions are true then a pair of diodes could be used to convert an amber three lamp circuit to a red two lamp circuit. So first things first, did you notice if there is a removable cover on the back side that allows access to the LEDs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia