knocking 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

winksr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 tahoe that ive owed for 5 yrs +. I noticed here lately that when i 1st start her up for the day that it is knocking until it idles for a bit. then its fine for the day. does it sound like it could be a lifter losing prime? It has 40lbs + oil pressure when warmed up. she does have 260,000 on the od. just looking for any suggestions.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most 5.3/6.0’s make some kinda noise on startup for a few seconds to a minute or two, could be a lifter tick, piston slap or even a manifold gasket leak that seals up once the engine is warmed up aslong as your oil pressure is good and doesn’t drop its most likely nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

winksr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok guys, ill listen a little better and see for sure if its lifter. now from what yall have said almost makes me think knocking sound. thanks for the input. i just know it never done it before and ive put about 80,000 on it since ive owned it

Jamo

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread a few months ago, but I have an '04 Tahoe w/183,000 miles. The same tick came up out of nowhere, and my wrench nephew told me to add two qts of ATF to the engine, on top of the oil without draining any off. Idle for 10-15 minutes, no rev, no drive. Change oil and filter w/o any ATF, back to normal.
I ended up with 1 qt of Gunk engine flush and 1 qt of ATF to do the deed and all is good. I'm just about to do the next oil change at 3,000 miles and just for the hell of it, I'm doing the flush again. The Tahoe has been running as it should since the engine flush...nice and quiet.
Cheap and easy DIY possible fix. Worked for me. Good luck...
Jamo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMT 900 nut