Key Fob Programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitterpat

Reaction score
I bought 2 new key fobs for my 2012 Yukon Denali. Tried over the weekend to get "some guy" program them because I had read here and in other forums the dealer was too high, ripped you off. The "some guy" never connected right, he didn't want to do it for what I offered him ($ 5 less) after he told me a price and didn't have the cohones to say so, so he never got back with me to set up a meet point (even after several times telling me he would). I wanted to meet him someplace public because of several reasons:
  1. I didn't know him and called a locksmith who said no, don't do those but this guy does. Next locksmith the same, no don't do them but this guy does. 3rd locksmith, no don't do them but this guy does. He was the 4th "locksmith" and answered his phone "Hello", no company name or nothing.
  2. I have a lot of tools and other stuff at my house that I don't want people I don't know seeing because you never know who is honest. If a friend or a person I've done business with recommends somebody I'll use them because the people I know I generally think are pretty law abiding and don't hang with a bad crowd.
  3. Female, I didn't know the guy and why take a chance of him coming to my house and I'm there by myself. Who does he blab it to.......blah, blah, blah. Would you want your wife or girlfriend to have some unknown guy who supposedly is a business person but doesn't answer the phone that way and you don't know alone with them?
Anyway, it didn't work out. I called my neighbor down the street who has a mechanic's business out of his home and I've come to know over the last 5 years. I stop by his place every once in a while to check how things are going and just be a good neighbor. We did grow up in the same city in Ohio. My mechanic neighbor says he doesn't know anybody and says "why don't you call the Ed Martin GMC dealer" and mentions # 2 and 3 above. And he says, what happens after you're done if the fobs don't work and the guy is gone.....good point.

So I call Ed Martin the GMC dealer, they ask me how many, I tell them 2. I ask how much, they say.............$52.50, yes $52.50. I say for both, yes. I make an appointment for today. Anyway I was thinking, I really need all 3 (2 new and the 1 that came with the car) programmed, wonder how much that's going to cost? I go today and the Service Rep (female btw) comes out and I tell her my name. She gets the service order and I ask her can she do all 3, she's like of course! I ask how much for all 3, she tells me .....$52.50 then explains to me if they don't do the old one too then it won't work. Great. She told me it would be about 45 minutes, I go in sit down, get the laptop out and start doing some work. I swear no more than 15 - 20 minutes goes by and they're calling my name saying I'm done. And I paid $52.50 plus tax.

So moral of the story.......check around at a couple of dealerships first before going to "some guy". Yes, the $52.50 was cheaper than what "some guy" was going to charge me!!:D

dszx13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 2 new key fobs for my 2012 Yukon Denali. Tried over the weekend to get "some guy" program them because I had read here and in other forums the dealer was too high, ripped you off. The "some guy" never connected right, he didn't want to do it for what I offered him ($ 5 less) after he told me a price and didn't have the cohones to say so, so he never got back with me to set up a meet point (even after several times telling me he would). I wanted to meet him someplace public because of several reasons:
  1. I didn't know him and called a locksmith who said no, don't do those but this guy does. Next locksmith the same, no don't do them but this guy does. 3rd locksmith, no don't do them but this guy does. He was the 4th "locksmith" and answered his phone "Hello", no company name or nothing.
  2. I have a lot of tools and other stuff at my house that I don't want people I don't know seeing because you never know who is honest. If a friend or a person I've done business with recommends somebody I'll use them because the people I know I generally think are pretty law abiding and don't hang with a bad crowd.
  3. Female, I didn't know the guy and why take a chance of him coming to my house and I'm there by myself. Who does he blab it to.......blah, blah, blah. Would you want your wife or girlfriend to have some unknown guy who supposedly is a business person but doesn't answer the phone that way and you don't know alone with them?
Anyway, it didn't work out. I called my neighbor down the street who has a mechanic's business out of his home and I've come to know over the last 5 years. I stop by his place every once in a while to check how things are going and just be a good neighbor. We did grow up in the same city in Ohio. My mechanic neighbor says he doesn't know anybody and says "why don't you call the Ed Martin GMC dealer" and mentions # 2 and 3 above. And he says, what happens after you're done if the fobs don't work and the guy is gone.....good point.

So I call Ed Martin the GMC dealer, they ask me how many, I tell them 2. I ask how much, they say.............$52.50, yes $52.50. I say for both, yes. I make an appointment for today. Anyway I was thinking, I really need all 3 (2 new and the 1 that came with the car) programmed, wonder how much that's going to cost? I go today and the Service Rep (female btw) comes out and I tell her my name. She gets the service order and I ask her can she do all 3, she's like of course! I ask how much for all 3, she tells me .....$52.50 then explains to me if they don't do the old one too then it won't work. Great. She told me it would be about 45 minutes, I go in sit down, get the laptop out and start doing some work. I swear no more than 15 - 20 minutes goes by and they're calling my name saying I'm done. And I paid $52.50 plus tax.

So moral of the story.......check around at a couple of dealerships first before going to "some guy". Yes, the $52.50 was cheaper than what "some guy" was going to charge me!!:D
Fobs are easy on nnbs. I work at a dealership an we charge a half hour of labor to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zucchini