KC Light bar project thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LittlePearl13

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Central Coast (SLO county), California.
My lens finally came today! I'll have pictures up this afternoon.

And oddly enough, the lens cost $35.
Bought the lights and bar on craigslist used for $35,
all the wiring components were $35,
the cans of paint and new mounting hardware was $35 bucks, too.

So even though I'm in >$100, I'm still WAY under what these would be new.

My question to you guys is: these came with some leather covers, that used to be form-fitted (allegedly) but they aren't now. I'm from California, and here it's illegal to drive on state roads with auxiliary lights that are uncovered and wired up, that are higher than 42"... so any ideas how to keep these covers on? I was thinking going to like a craft store and getting big plastic buckles, like the kind on the front of life jackets, and sewing some real heavy duty fabric across the back. Any input?

OP
OP
LittlePearl13

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ngruiogvhnlskjnfa DAMMIT.

After waiting over a month for my stupd lens replacement to come, the very next day (today), I'm heading home from the hardware store with the wiring and the last few parts I need and my car dies. Twice. Now I have to replace the alternator... there's no point in installing the light bar today. I'm seriously wondering if I'm ever going to finish this ******* project by the end of summer. Fuuuuu-

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
some unexpected news that family was going to just 'drop in' for a week. They're staying in the garage, so I had to clear out my workbench and everything. Ugh, distant relatives... who needs 'em?

Am I the ONLY one who noticed this???

On a more serious note, I can't wait to see that thing installed...good luck with the alt.

OP
OP
LittlePearl13

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah, I'm going to pay a little more for a "heavy duty" alternator. My shop has them in stock, $100 uninstalled, I'll do it myself tomorrow afternoon, when I can have another set of hands to help me with this weird tensioner thing on the belt system. But that does bring up a question: these lights are pretty gnarly, I'm running them in pairs, because theyre 100w. Should I get another battery installed? I mean, I know it'd be a lot of work finding a good place for an auxiliary battery, but it'd be nice to be able to have the lights on without to car running, too.

Haha Sparg, I'm glad somebody appreciated my humor ;] I'm dying to get it up there, I've been promising more pictures for far too long. I even drilled out those blank panels and got a switch to sit in there tight and flush, it looks mean.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed with the bar is the new lens that I ordered is one piece, with the reflector and PLASTIC lens attached. All of the other ones are two separate pieces, and they're glass lenses. You can't tell unless you look real close, because the numbers on the front are different, but it still is a little irritating. Feels cheap to me, like I'm giong to have to replace it again in 8 months.

OP
OP
LittlePearl13

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, the light came in, I've fixed my alternator, and I finally have started making some real progress! I got the bar wired up and spliced, and I tested out the mounting hardware. These are just some teaser shots, I can't really mount them to stay until I finish making the straps for the leather covers. Anyway, enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_20110812_133810.jpg
    IMG_20110812_133810.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20110812_130927.jpg
    IMG_20110812_130927.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20110812_133828.jpg
    IMG_20110812_133828.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20110812_134421.jpg
    IMG_20110812_134421.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 23

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never really been too much of a fan of big lights on roof but i have to say im diggin those now that i see em on the hoe. loks like youve made a lot of progress since last talked to you. cant wait for final install pics. post up where you mount your switches too