Just got my letter re: door handle fix, keep shouting for a dash fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my '07 a few months ago, the door handle chrome was already coming off & sharp. I had placed a small piece of electrician's tape over the seams on the front handles to keep from cutting myself the day after I bought it since I read on here that GM was avoiding replacing/recalling the handles. I have been keeping a close eye on the back handles since the chrome hasn't separated yet. Don't want my 5 yr old cutting himself getting out of the truck.

Just got my door handle letter in the mail today. Might wait a little while...Would love to see a cracked dash recall show up & take it in for both at the same time. I still have 40,000 some miles before I bust 100k

Last edited:

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
this is the driver side crack, other crack is from airbag towards the windshield on passenger side. tis is an old pic, crack is now 4 inches longer moving to the left (around 7 o'clock) and up the hump

Dude that is a serious fu*king crack. Sorry to see that. I would be shouting too.lol Good luck with that.

Any idea what would cause some to crack and others not too?

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Its most likely lack of dashboard protection and clear tint that causes these crack.
The sensitive plastic gets beat to hell by the sun on hot sunny days, and if there is no protection like Meguiars or ArmorAll ran over it, you get a crack ora faded dash.
Plus if the dash is black, thats when it gets extremely hot. I have not heard of many brown ones cracking, but for any to crack it shows a bad design. If you want proof of this, feel your dash in the evening when you get out of a 6 or more hour workday and you wll barely be able to touch it.
I have always ran Meguiars over my dash anavoid the sun and this has never happened to me.

NICK392

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the handles peel and dash crack in both places stated on my 07 with Titanium gray interior. I live in Florida so it gets hot even with sun shade. Was a lease and turned it in year ago. They never mentioned cracks in final inspection report. I have an 09 now with black interior and I'm keeping a close watch on it.

cu005588

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this applies to the Yukons also? I have a 07 Denali with chrome plated interior door handles and they are totally peeling.

Thanks in advance.

pimpske

Reaction score
this is the driver side crack, other crack is from airbag towards the windshield on passenger side. tis is an old pic, crack is now 4 inches longer moving to the left (around 7 o'clock) and up the hump

I hope they do send a letter for the dash..mine has a crack by the passenger airbag also.I would think it is common because when i was shopping around for my tahoe i did see a few that were cracked in the same area.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensitive plastic gets beat to hell by the sun on hot sunny days, and if there is no protection like Meguiars or ArmorAll ran over it, you get a crack ora faded dash.

I have an engineer friend that works at a GM dash plant and he says it's not good for the plastic to put Armorall on it. Don't know if there is any truth to that, but I quit using it on my dash and just use soap and water now.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its most likely lack of dashboard protection and clear tint that causes these crack.
Plus if the dash is black, thats when it gets extremely hot. I have not heard of many brown ones cracking, but for any to crack it shows a bad design. If you want proof of this, feel your dash in the evening when you get out of a 6 or more hour workday and you wll barely be able to touch it.
I have always ran Meguiars over my dash anavoid the sun and this has never happened to me.

GM blames the cracking on Armorall/protectants being used on the dash, just an FYI.

Shelbya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got both front handles replaced free of charge on warranty. I bought just my yukon this month 07 73,000 miles. I like it a lot

Last edited:

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does apply to Yukons as well. I had mine done 5 months ago. FYI Armorall has NEVER touched my car. GM, any other ideas except maybe the real one.....trying to cut corners. Lowest bid always means lowest quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmly

Latest posts