Just bought 99 Yukon Want to get her ready for summer road trip/towing travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrSpicy

Reaction score
Hi all,
New to the forum and new to towing anything other than what my old S10 could handle. This summer my wife and I plan on traveling the Pacific North west. We will be purchasing a travel trailer of some sorts and will be traveling in our 1999 Yukon we recently bought. I was hoping some of you could give some insight on what you would recommend as far as trailer weight and size. Also any maintenance or upgrades I should do to the vehicle. As far as I can tell she's all stock. The truck has about 175000 on it but still runs strong no engine or tranny problems as far as I can tell.

From the info I have gathered it looks like I can tow up to 6500lbs.

Its got the 350, 4x4, 4spd auto(I think they all have the same tranny?) and a 3.73 rear end if I read the codes right (GT4 G80)

It is equipped with a universal tow package that bolts to the frame. With 5000 & 500 carrying and 10000 & 1000 distributing weight.

It is also equipped with the auto leveling rear suspension. Although I fear there is a leak in the system or it is failing. This I think may be my biggest issue.

So long story short.
What size/weight trailer do you recommend.
Any reasonable upgrades recommended? I've seen some recommend a trans cooler and such

Any maintenance you recommend other than the obvious?
I will be replacing the intake manifold gasket soon and along with that will replace: plugs, wires, cap& rotor, all related gaskets, and will be upgrading the injector spider to MPFI. I already did a full brake job and will also service the tranny and differentials. Anything I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any input it is greatly appreciated.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I bought a '99 last summer and we're picking up our new travel trailer this weekend! My '99 has 165k on it and is stock as well except for a +1 tire size. I took mine in and had both differentials, transfer case and transmission serviced. I've had a little work done it so far for a few oil leaks and leaking seals and it's running strong. I might upgrade the transmission cooler but I'm not sure yet.

As far as the TT is concerned, the general rule is to not exceed 80% of the rated capacity. With that in mind, we bought a new Keystone Passport TT that is 25' long and weighs 3,975lbs and has a tongue weight of 495. I'm getting a new Equal-I-zer weight distributing hitch and brake controller installed this weekend while I'm doing my TT inspection. We're heading from CO to ME the last week of May until late June. Hopefully all will go well!

Safe travels

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is also equipped with the auto leveling rear suspension. Although I fear there is a leak in the system or it is failing. This I think may be my biggest issue.

Spray the system with a soapy solution (dish soap and water will work), bubbles should show where in the system a leak is present.

OP
OP
M

MrSpicy

Reaction score
BirchyBoy thanks for the input! Looks like we've got the same ride. Mine as well had the +1 tire size when we bought it but it needed tires and I decided to go back to stock...not sure how I feel about it now. I sure liked the look of the bigger tires and I liked the higher ground clearance. But now with the stock tires it handles so much better. Also the mpg went up a bit.

Also thanks for that info on the TT its just me and my wife and possibly our two dogs so it sounds like we should be set if we go with a TT on the smaller side...but then again why not go big if we can. Let me know how much the Equal-I-zer hitch and brake controller set you back that was something that I was looking into.

And Yates thanks for the info on the air suspension. Not to sound like a fool but I have never had a vehicle with this. What areas would be a good place to start or that leaks are common in? Thanks.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same with us. Just me, my wife and our Eski.

I've been considering going back to the stock size but do like the larger tire. A little bump in MPG might be good, though. The hitch and controller were part of my deal. Etrailer.com definitely has great prices if you're going to buy one on your own.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Yates thanks for the info on the air suspension. Not to sound like a fool but I have never had a vehicle with this. What areas would be a good place to start or that leaks are common in? Thanks.

Start at the compressor (behind drivers rear wheel I believe) and follow the air lines spraying every inch liberally.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the '99 come with an auto ride system, or is it a retro fit such as Firestone or Airlift?

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are bringing your rig to a shop to have the fluids changed, make sure they use the blue Auto Trac II fluid (I think that is the name of it) in the transfer case. I had my transfer case fluid changed at three different shop where I live. All three used ATF fluid in the transfer case. At the third shop I even told them to use the blue stuff and they didn't. Finally just did it myself. The front and rear differential and transfer case fluid changes are really easy jobs if you want to do it yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork