Is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a hydraulic mechanic I have to weigh in to say, "NEVER GET UNDER A VEHICLE THAT IS HELD UP WITH A JACK. HYD. JACKS ARE MADE TO LIFT, NOT SUPPORT."(lock or no lock). That being said you lift the vehicle and when it gets to the desired height & position you crib it with blocks of wood or solid concrete blocks, not cinder blocks. Being in the business I have seen numerous men that have been maimed, even killed, by vehicles that fall off of hyd. jacks or the jack looses pressure and comes down hard. Safety first!

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had luck getting my truck up on plastic ramps. They slide as I try to drive up. They work for my other cars and smaller suvs so I just crawl under without ramps for oil changes.

Heh, maybe you're just going fast enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I use the plastic ramps. I have an old set, at least 20 years old.

I've found with my Denali having the hill start assist, it makes it a bit difficult to slowly get up the ramp. If you hit the brakes before getting to the top, the assist kicks in and locks the brakes when you release the brake until you press on the gas.

Just takes a bit of getting used to

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, here's another tip: Don't put fresh hyd. fluid in an floor jack that's been around for awhile. The floor jack seals or "O" rings probably have small, even microscopic, cracks in them (from dirt, dust, small metal particles). This defeats the "O" rings BUNA coating, which makes the rubber impermeable. The trouble arises when the new oil, which is loaded with lanolin, is added. The lanolin is to keep the rubber & synthetic parts soft and pliable. Over time the lanolin will evaporate and become a non-issue. But when the new oil is added and the lanolin gets into the small cracks it turns the "O" ring to the consistency of chewing gum (eventual failure). You'd be better off putting a small amount of a pure oil in the reservoir. Even a small amount of vegetable or mineral oil will do. With that being said, most floor jacks sold today are sealed and not made to be taken apart so you can't change the seals or "O" rings. If you are fortunate to have, or find one, that can be taken apart you are very lucky. Keep it or buy it, they are worth their weight in gold to a mechanic.

Last edited:

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used atf in jacks.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk