Is it enough?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Debating doing a single ported 12" in a center console between the 2nd row buckets in my 08 Yukon Denali. Haven't started shopping for woofer or amp yet, just getting my ideas together and seeing what kind of space I have to work with.

I am coming from a pair of ported 15" subs in my last pickup, to now only the factory 8" in the console, so I know it will be an upgrade from the current state, but I worry it won't be enough. I don't want to take up cargo area or ditch the 3rd row, so this was kind of mu middle ground.

Anyone have a single 12 setup that jams?

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 ported 15's is hard to keep up with. It just doesnt make sense for 1 12" to keep up with that unless those 15's were average to below average subs. I think more specs would help as far as how much power you were giving them and what type you had. You can find a good 12" that would make you happy but I'm also hoping sound is better in a SUV vs pickup. 2 15's getting 500 each can hopefully compete with an amazing 12 taking 1000+ power I would imagine. You can fit a 12 or 2 behind the 3rd row with a custom box.

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not going into this expecting a single 12" to compete with 2 - 15" subs. Surface area alone tells me no way. I have been in the game long enough.

I was more worried that a single 12" will even make me happy.

Previous setup (in truck): 2 Alpine Type R 15's fed from an Orion 2500d (2500RMS true power) @ 1 ohm total load.

badandyturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switch between a Sundown Audio 12" and 4 8" Digital Designs. When I need the cargo space I run the 12". It's good enough for me. But obviously the 8's are nasty.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happiness is subjective. My audio friend used to tell me about a 10 that would have competed with my 12 at the time. Alpine type r's are good speakers but there are better. You can buy a better sub and accomplish your goal with 1 12" but its hard to determine what will make you happy. Since you are not aiming for same output, its hard to gauge what you would be happy with. Your best bet is to take a listen in some trucks/cars and work from there. You can fit a 12 between those seats or maybe 2 12's behind 3rd row. You have options but only you can determine what will make you happy. All we have to compare is what you had before and none of these setups would compare output wise but can still sound better. To compete with output, look into competition subs people use like Fi, Sundown, etc.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to run a higher-end 12". Another Type R would be the lowest kind of sub I would run. Need to find a pair of 12's and amps, because the plan is to do another ported 12 box in the wife's grand cherokee.

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happiness is subjective. My audio friend used to tell me about a 10 that would have competed with my 12 at the time. Alpine type r's are good speakers but there are better. You can buy a better sub and accomplish your goal with 1 12" but its hard to determine what will make you happy. Since you are not aiming for same output, its hard to gauge what you would be happy with. Your best bet is to take a listen in some trucks/cars and work from there. You can fit a 12 between those seats or maybe 2 12's behind 3rd row. You have options but only you can determine what will make you happy. All we have to compare is what you had before and none of these setups would compare output wise but can still sound better. To compete with output, look into competition subs people use like Fi, Sundown, etc.

Hope that helps.

I totally agree. There are way better subs out there than Alpine. I was just listing a "budget" friendly option that I would go for the bare min.

I would LIKE to think that since I went from alot to nothing, that a single 12" would make me happy. I know it is subjective to ask such a question too. Just wondered who all else ran a single 12" or similar and had good results in an SUV.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Helix P12 (more for SQ than SPL) that I am taking from an old car and putting into the truck. I have same mentality as you. Since I'm so used to this little sub up front, the 12 in the back should make me happy. Only difference is I'm coming from audio car setups and going to a truck which I think makes things just louder bass wise? I was not sure how a pick up reacts to bass versus car or SUV but I have never heard anyone on here complain about a 12 or 2 in the truck. But everyone's experience and expectations are different.

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the truck was an ext cab, so the box was in your back pocket. the flat dash created standing waves so it wasn't ideal. I have heard similar setups to what I had in my truck (3-4 different versions) and each time, in an suv, they were always louder on the ear. The truck, even very heavily deadened, was never ideal.

I need to find time and $$ to sound deaden the Denali this winter, and then drop a 12" in a console. Use to be happy with pure SPL, but again as my "ears mature" I always lean toward a good SQ setup with some good low end. Still fun to shake windows every now and then.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Debating doing a single ported 12" in a center console between the 2nd row buckets in my 08 Yukon Denali. Haven't started shopping for woofer or amp yet, just getting my ideas together and seeing what kind of space I have to work with.

I am coming from a pair of ported 15" subs in my last pickup, to now only the factory 8" in the console, so I know it will be an upgrade from the current state, but I worry it won't be enough. I don't want to take up cargo area or ditch the 3rd row, so this was kind of mu middle ground.

Anyone have a single 12 setup that jams?

Had a single JL W7 in sealed box hooked up to an Audison 5.1K. It was definitely an SQ setup but wow could that 12 fill the cabin with sound. Box design plays a big part as well. I think with a good quality 12, you could achieve the sound and loudness you’re after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j