iPhone 8 wireless charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer and tell them to make it work lol

Getting iPhone x and plan on getting a aftermarket charger for my 03

Technyne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Denali and an iPhone 8, I can confirm without question that the charging mat does not work.

It will not work with the X either. Apple used an older standard, I’m sure they will modify this in the 8S/9/11 (whatever naming convention they stick to now)

-Technyne

awsop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't post often, but just a heads up for anyone who cares . . .

I unexpectedly "upgraded" my 6s to an 8 this weekend, I really wasn't planning on it, but you know how impulses go, HaHa I thought it would be kinda cool to have the idle wireless charger on the armrest, be used for SOMETHING, but to my disappointment . . . It doesn't work with the iPhone. I have a buddy who has a Samsung and he uses the pad all the time. Oh well, another cool Apple feature that is meaningless to me. Thought someone out there would like to know-- KH

Edit
http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/technology/how-gmcs-wireless-charging-works.html

Maybe it's user error :)

I did the same thing...bought an iphone 8 so I could use the wireless charging pad in my 16 yukon. Doesn’t work. Took my phone to at&t store and it charged wirelessly on other pads. Removed the rubber mat from yukon charging pad and still no luck. Does anyone know what fuse the charger is tied to?

OP
OP
khiroshima

khiroshima

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I did everything; even the link I attached suggested rotating the phone 180 degrees, doesn't work. I have a 16 and an iPhone 8 - it fits the charge location fine, but no charge-- Too bad, KH

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had issues with passengers who tried charging Samsung devices in my Escalade not just new iPhones. The S6 and S8 charged but not the Note8 or S7 that I tried. I did see online an aftermarket 3 coil charger for the non wireless charging trucks. Goes right into the stock location. It might be a worthwhile upgrade if you need wireless charging. Just remember CarPlay and Android auto do not work wirelessly so if you wanted to use them you have to plug your device in away.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had issues with passengers who tried charging Samsung devices in my Escalade not just new iPhones. The S6 and S8 charged but not the Note8 or S7 that I tried. I did see online an aftermarket 3 coil charger for the non wireless charging trucks. Goes right into the stock location. It might be a worthwhile upgrade if you need wireless charging. Just remember CarPlay and Android auto do not work wirelessly so if you wanted to use them you have to plug your device in away.

That’s a really good point about CarPlay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm also a victim of the iPhone 8 not working with the wireless charging mat (2016 Yukon).

From reading other forums, it appears the charging mat isn't powerful enough.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also a victim of the iPhone 8 not working with the wireless charging mat (2016 Yukon).

From reading other forums, it appears the charging mat isn't powerful enough.
Or that the Iphone uses inferior wireless charging components since other phones will work. :shrug:

Chastx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One more data point: Wife has the new iPhone 8+ and it will NOT charge on her 15 Denali XL.
I don't know who to be mad at. Apple used the same standard that Android does, and apparently those phones (or some of them) work fine.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more data point: Wife has the new iPhone 8+ and it will NOT charge on her 15 Denali XL.
I don't know who to be mad at. Apple used the same standard that Android does, and apparently those phones (or some of them) work fine.
From what I have read they do not use the same standard, Apple uses an older standard and also slower charging speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20