Intake manifold gasket replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my intake manifold gasket. Is this a difficult job. I feel I'm a pretty capable mech. it's just a lot of stuff on the top of that vortec. Thoughts? Its leaking from the back.

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
Not hard just takes time. Make sure to not rush and to get the right gaskets. Summit sent the wrong ones to me twice and I craked the lower intake twice at just 12 ftlbs luckily they paid for thier error. Use only gm bolts and gaskets since you are staying stock felpro gaskest are thinner and dont have the reinforcment for the gakets around the bolt holes also use the black rtv for valley ridges . Replace the lower intake bolts while its out they are more than likely corroded and wont torque right again only gm they have a snub at the end to keep you from overtorquing . The specs for the lower are 12 ftlbs in a criss cross pattern then straight line ( make an x with the two middle bolts then straight line with outers start on the left/pass side). I cleaned my upper and lower with B-12 to get ride of the gunk and went over the lower with a wire wheel. Also if you can afford it replace the injector unit with the upgrade to mpi cost was 320 at advanced helps out a lot with how it runs. Anthing else pm me will be happy to help out where I can.

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
Also mark the distributor when you take it off to ensure you put it back on correctly. My buddy and I got burned on this before.

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
Sorry forgot that part but very important more than 2 degrees off and it will not run.IUse a white paint pen clean the area first if you lose the mark you will hate yourself. Also the a/c compressor must come off then you slide the bracket that holds it and the power steering pump off after you loosen it. You do not have to remove the power steering pump as the lines are flexible enough to work with.

daddyoth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Damn you beat me to it, i got a leak at the rear intake manifold (coolant) on my limited just cannot find time and courage to tackle the problem alone just too many stuff on top:emotions122:

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Done it on a Vortec and TBI, easy to do. Just take your time with it and double check everything. Everything has been pretty much been covered LoL just make sure you mark the distributor! I would go and pick up a manual.

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
Also while working on mine today found an extra set of intake gaskets from gm for the vortec 5.7 pm your address and I will give them to you! Daadyoth it takes about a day to do the first time. To both also take some close pics of the emisions and vac system will help a lot more than diagrams.

daddyoth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also while working on mine today found an extra set of intake gaskets from gm for the vortec 5.7 pm your address and I will give them to you! Daadyoth it takes about a day to do the first time. To both also take some close pics of the emisions and vac system will help a lot more than diagrams.

hey 961500, thank you very much i appreciated, wow a whole day!! man that's the problem i'm having being this is my only transportation.maybe weekend if i'm lucky or call couple of friends over for help....not a bad idea:Handshake:

Again thank you very much 961500,

mikeykey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add my two cents, I did this same job over 5 years ago. Your engine and mine (99') should be the same and i didn't have to take my a/c off, i just moved it out of the way.....glad i did too...

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
Daddyoth not a problem. You can just move the ac compressor mine was off since I was doing a whole new motor will save you the rechrge on the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPKennny