Installing HID troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeLex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, hoping someone will be able to help. Got an HID kit from DDM tuning - the 6500k 55W ultra kit with the relay. Of course there’s no instructions but we didn’t think it would be that big of a deal.

So we get to installing and got one on. Hooked it up exactly the same on the other side, and both don’t work. We tried every single combination of connections and no dice. We took the relay out and just plugged the ballast into the light and they’d turn on for a few seconds then turn off.

Anyone know what we could be doing wrong? We’ve installed kits from them on our other vehicles with zero issues!

Hoping someone can help! Thanks in advance!!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my advice would be to use a electrical meter and be sure the polarity is correct, if so then swap them out if the problem persist on the same side then you still have something wrong, if the problem follows the light/relay then one is defective.

OP
OP
TahoeLex

TahoeLex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my advice would be to use a electrical meter and be sure the polarity is correct, if so then swap them out if the problem persist on the same side then you still have something wrong, if the problem follows the light/relay then one is defective.
Thanks for the reply. Got it figured out but now the relay buzzes on auto (but not full on) during the day, not at night. Any ideas how to resolve that?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Got it figured out but now the relay buzzes on auto (but not full on) during the day, not at night. Any ideas how to resolve that?
how did you wire the relays? nothing should be "buzzing" the light harness low beam positive wire should only be the only wire connected to the relay as a trigger the rest should run directly to the hid ballast. battery and ground. any other wires on the factory light harness should not be connected to the relay

SSpinball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the buzzing is the relay being pulsed, add a capacitor to the circuit and it will fix your problem.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the buzzing is the relay being pulsed, add a capacitor to the circuit and it will fix your problem.
the relay should not be getting pulsed, if it is then something is connected wrong, I have mine on relays and there is no buzzing or problems of any kind at all, no capacitors
here is a crude drawing of how it should be hooked up (one relay per headlight)

relay123.JPG

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be a pulse as mentioned or a lower wattage due to lower power being sent to the low beams for DRL’s (Daylight Running Lights).

Pulses or lower than normal power for DRL’s will kill aftermarket HID Kits, it will prematurely wear out the HID bulbs and ballasts.

Either get a DRL killer or everyday manually turn on and off your headlights and do not leave it in AUTO on the light switch.

SARNCAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, hoping someone will be able to help. Got an HID kit from DDM tuning - the 6500k 55W ultra kit with the relay. Of course there’s no instructions but we didn’t think it would be that big of a deal.

So we get to installing and got one on. Hooked it up exactly the same on the other side, and both don’t work. We tried every single combination of connections and no dice. We took the relay out and just plugged the ballast into the light and they’d turn on for a few seconds then turn off.

Anyone know what we could be doing wrong? We’ve installed kits from them on our other vehicles with zero issues!

Hoping someone can help! Thanks in advance!!
I would say it is because of the 55W.
Yukon/Tahoe is rated to 39W HID’s (35 watts to be sure) I guess. Getting higher watts may have some problems.
I know that Osram and Philips D3S are 35 watts. LTZ/Premier comes with Osram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879