Even worth installing doreman manifold clamp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have leak that appears to be coming from under the right side somewhere by the car or something. Can’t really find where noise is even with stethoscope. Somewhere by the passenger cat.

the stud that’s broken though is the drivers side rear stud. Doesn’t seem to be leaking much. Maybe a small amount of soot if at all. But no noise.

Is it even worth installing the clamp on the broken stud? Is it hard? It’s looking like I’ll have to lift the front, take off the front left wheel and see if I can get in there and install the clamp to the back left of the engine block (assuming there isn’t a Bunch of other crap in the way)

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never extracted a stud.
But when you learn how to do it, you get to call yourself a stud and never be afraid of tackling that problem on any car again.

I've been seeing your posts here for a few weeks now and feel like I know pretty much where you're at in life. There were times I could only afford to put $5 worth of gas in my car to get to work, and if anything broke, I had to borrow tools and phone a friend for guidance. But I'll tell you this, had I not done that and figured out how to fix it myself, I would live in fear every time I wanted to take a trip or had to deal with some unscrupulous mechanic. Learning how to do this stuff will give you life skills and most of all, peace of mind. My wife also tells me that one of the things that attracted her to me was that I knew how to fix shit. :) So there's that.

Keep wrestling with it and roll up your sleeves. We'll help you as you go.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need is a bolt extractor set, a set of drill bits, a drill, and an adjustable wrench. Maybe a torch too.

I would remove the manifold, use a small drill bit and drill into the broke bold as deep as you feel comfortable, and then use a larger drill bit to widen the hole. Find the bolt extractor that fits right, heat the crap out of the broken bolt with a torch, hammer the bolt extractor in a bit until it has a good bite, then attach the adjustable wrench to the square end of the bolt extractor and it should just spin out lefty loosey.

All of the tools I listed can be bought for about $5 a piece at harbor freight, I love harbor freight. Did my entire AFM delete using harbor freight parts.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never extracted a stud. Don’t think I could do it right tbh. It’s in there I’m sure. Can’t see it anymore on the manifold.
As my dad would say when used the excuse that I had never done something, “I had that problem once, but then I did it, then I didn’t have that problem anymore.”
I was 45 when I pulled and swapped a cam for the first time. I was 50 when I swapped a transmission for the first time. Don’t let the fact that you’ve never done something keep you from doing it. Take your time, do some research, ask questions and you may just surprise yourself with what you can do.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a couple of the Dorman clamps on because I am lazy unless I get paid. They work but are not permanent. Need the heads pulled to do it right. The rear broken studs have little to no clearance. I would not want to get in there and drill with an angle head drill and have to "hold my tongue just right". Like has been said, I, like others here, never thought I would turn wrenches and then run shops for a living. I started because my uncle did not like me drinking beer all the time when I got out of the service. He had a shop and put my ass to work. He was right, I stuck with it and learned, learned, learned and was never out of a job from that point forward. You will make mistakes but you will learn from them. Have a spare vehicle to drive while doing the work. Get all the info you can and learn it and watch gobs of videos on how to do it and get ready to spend some money.

BUT, when you finish and it was done right and it performs like you want it to.......well then, you will walk around with a w*o*o*d*y* for 1/2 an hour and never back away again. The only thing that ever limits me now is age and no lift but thankfully, I am a thousandaire and have a shop owner friend. If needed I can use a lift and use his young mind and way less aches and pains to get the work done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar