Installing headunit with Bose non-nav system - PAC RP5-GM31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, new Tahoe owner here looking to upgrade to an Apple Carplay/Android Auto receiver and want to make sure I'm getting everything I need to install correctly and haven't overlooked anything.

I want to retain my factory steering wheel controls, BOSE amp/sub, door chimes, On-Star, backup sensors, in-console USB port etc. I'd also like to retain the factory bluetooth mic so I don't have to install a new one.

Headunit: Sony XAV-AX100

Dash mounting kit & USB adapter

PAC RP5-GM31 wiring interface

Seems pretty straightforward, wire the new unit harness into the PAC, connect to the PAC to factory wiring and that should be that.

The PAC module should allow me to use everything I mentioned above, does anybody have experience with this unit and can recommend it (or against it?)? Thanks a lot!

Claimed functionality of the PAC unit:

• works with amplified and non-amplified systems (including Bose audio systems)
  • retains factory steering wheel audio controls (allows dual function for each button)
  • retains factory Bluetooth if equipped (2009-up vehicles)
  • retains factory OnStar if equipped
  • retains Rear Seat Controls, factory backup cam, Rear Seat Entertainment system (with optional adapter)
  • retains satellite radio in vehicles with steering wheel controls and a driver info center
  • provides Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), parking brake, and reverse connections for installing a navigation receiver

Last edited:

Yukon_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was going to use this PAC device, but instead went with the Maestro box that also adds options to check "vitals" of the vehicle if the head unit allows it. Also had to get the adapter to send rear camera from the mirror to the head unit. Head Unit is: Kenwood DDX-9904s

Kyle Pezzetti

Reaction score
Was going to use this PAC device, but instead went with the Maestro box that also adds options to check "vitals" of the vehicle if the head unit allows it. Also had to get the adapter to send rear camera from the mirror to the head unit. Head Unit is: Kenwood DDX-9904s

Where did you get the adapter at I have a 13 with the display in the mirror

OP
OP
Chuck_Finley

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I pulled the trigger on this combo but haven’t had a chance to install it. I don’t have the diagnostic capability on that Sony nor a backup screen in mirror so the PAC should suit my needs. I can add a camera later, I’m fine with the backup beepers for now and that should still work.

I’ll report back with how it all works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yukon_

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the PAC and I'm happy with it. The GM31 does not come with the rear entertainment system wiring. You would have to get an extra adapter assuming your head unit can handle dual zone. If you have dual zone, thats the one thing I strongly recommend maintaining if you can.

OP
OP
Chuck_Finley

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally installed everything and am happy so far. I haven't been able to extensively test everything but so far the PAC unit works as advertised. It's pretty much as plug and play as you can get, just crimp all the wires from the PAC to your aftermarket radio harness, colors all matched up. A summary of what I learned in case anybody is interested:

• Steering wheel controls work without programming
  • Backup sensor beeps work (using the chime module inside the dash)
  • Bluetooth mic, while advertised to be compatible, will not work with your aftermarket headunit, you will have to add a second microphone. The factory mic will continue to work with OnStar however.
  • OnStar works
  • Door chimes and RAP work
  • Speaker fade etc. seems to work fine. Bose subwoofer works from what I can tell.
  • Speakers sound good but not better or worse than the factory head unit.
  • I am not using XM, so no comment there. I am using the XM app via CarPlay instead.
  • I do not have the rear TV so I didn't use the supplied adapter for that.
  • Accessory, illumination etc. all seems to work fine
Next up is a cheap backup camera because why not.

EkKvHcM.jpg

I even added a Chevy logo as the wallpaper :)

rU1eJX0.jpg

Yukon_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it worked out great, I'll have to work on adding some pics of my own setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas