Installing a steering damper this week.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have a steering damper or put one on. Ive always used one on most trucks Ive owned, I am surprised I don't see more threads about this. The Rough Country and KYB dampers look about the same. Ill be throwing mine on this week, wondering from those of you who run one did it make a difference in anyway.

Thanks

rebl68

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely keep us posted.

I've used a zone steering damper on a NBS sierra with 35's.

My suburban with 33's has some wandering going on right now, but I think its more gear box related at the moment.

OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem - it delivers tomorrow - Im not off till Wednesday, Ill install then and get back to you guys.

Its a simple install - only requires 1 hole to be drilled. The rest is bolt on.

I bought the Rough Country -

Here are your choices - I think they are only good up to 3" of lift up front though (FYI) Im sure their are damper kits out there for the bigger lifts.

Heres an idea of the install:
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12471

1 note - I bought a shock boot to protect the shock piston rod. (I recommend this)

This is def worth at shot for around a $60 investment lol

963a7b3f-7a26-4f8f-9d80-5c50870fe800.gif

57d2f331-4df3-4620-a5c7-bcea4596c081.gif

69db29f1-bfc0-4115-9fc5-211be5669ec6.gif

Last edited:

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem - it delivers tomorrow - Im not off till Wednesday, Ill install then and get back to you guys.

Its a simple install - only requires I hole to be drilled. The rest is bolt on.

I bought the Rough Country -

Here are your choices - I think they are only good up to 3" of lift up front though (FYI) Im sure their are damper kits out there for the bigger lifts.

This is def worth at shot for around a $50 investment lol

IMG_9350.gif

IMG_9351.gif

Damn dude, I woulda gone with the KYB... for a few bucks more, KYB seems to have a higher standard in quality.

OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn dude, I woulda gone with the KYB... for a few bucks more, KYB seems to have a higher standard in quality.

Ive had good luck with rough country in the past, plus their customer service was a lot more prompt and courteous with my questions. It wasn't the price that swayed me. I don't skimp, I just went with the company that was more helpful and had previous gear from, and I can't remember when Ive had KYB anything so I may be out of touch with them in that respect.

Ok crap the KYB was cheaper cause it had free S/H Either way for a $60 mod they are prob pretty comparable. Ill post back

Last edited:

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had good luck with rough country in the past, plus their customer service was a lot more prompt and courteous with my questions. It wasn't the price that swayed me. I don't skimp, I just went with the company that was more helpful and had previous gear from, and I can't remember when Ive had KYB anything so I may be out of touch with them in that respect.

Fair enough man. Can't argue with that. Just from what I've hear, KYB is practically on par w/ bilstein

OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair enough man. Can't argue with that. Just from what I've hear, KYB is practically on par w/ bilstein

Cool, Ive always run Bilstein...always! I love their stuff, got 5100's on the Yukon. I thought about calling bilstein and seeing if they had just a damper when I was researching this steering damper mod, if they have one I may get one and use it.

Also with KYB... maybe it was the white damper that put me off lol. Looks like a ******.

Last edited:

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, Ive always run Bilstein...always! I love their stuff, got 5100's on the Yukon. I thought about calling bilstein and seeing if they had just a damper and use it....

If they did, I'd buy it today lol

OP
OP
Coatwolf

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I bet they do.... I may give them a shout tomorrow from work, just to see. I may have to wait and measure the RC one.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

They do make one, you would need to fab up mounting brackets for it - looks like an OEM replacement type damper

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/truck-off-road/5100-series-steering-damper/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCUSA