Installing a backup Camera (here we go, finally)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I had one of our techs print me out the wiring for the 2013 Tahoe and it shows the camera with 6 wires total. There is one connector that has a Pink which would be key on power and a black which would be ground. The second connector has a white wire which I was told was the Positive camera lead and light blue which is the negative camera lead. Then the gray he said gets blunted out which I take to mean it is not used and the dark blue goes to the BCM somehow. This info helps but I still am not sure what to do since I am not a wiring guy and I am lost at this point!

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

btw: the blue wire could also be a trigger, that the BCM uses to switch the camera on. (but your BCM doesn't know about a camera, so it might be that you's have to have it high all the time, so that the camera is just on, and the radio "decides" to display the signal, or not.) Amps use a wire like that too, but that is set high by the radio.

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw; I'd be careful hooking the camera up to a 12V source, if I were you. The camera itself is 5V AND it does not have a red lead (which is typically used for +12V connections.)

I am not sure, but I think that the camera is more than likely driven by the Nav Radio (power, signal, trigger etc), it would make more sense, since the radio can determine how long the screen is on/off (or other situations, like displaying a map, a dvd etc), and when the signal needs to be off, or the whole camera needs to be on/off

My camera has the 5V markings, but as you can see in the first picture, the first part is gray (the label says it is 5V for the camera itself). I have been told the gray part of the harness has a voltage controller in it, to reduce the voltage. Also, that camera has a red and black lead, re +12V, black being ground.

Ron

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the leads are different, red/black/RCA.

This is the type I have. Do you do any towing? I have a camera temp mounted so I can see when lining up the trailer ball. My major problem is I have a 6" drop hitch. So it sticks out of the bumper about 6" then drops another 6". Right now the only way I can get a shot of trailer ball is having my camera mounted on the rear wiper arm because it seems to be the furthest point back (excluding the rear bumper) that can get a view of the ball and the camera is out of harms way and not very noticeable.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the type I have. Do you do any towing? I have a camera temp mounted so I can see when lining up the trailer ball. My major problem is I have a 6" drop hitch. So it sticks out of the bumper about 6" then drops another 6". Right now the only way I can get a shot of trailer ball is having my camera mounted on the rear wiper arm because it seems to be the furthest point back (excluding the rear bumper) that can get a view of the ball and the camera is out of harms way and not very noticeable.

Yes I do some towing, and planning on more. (I have a regular utility trailer, but planning on trading it for a dual axle car hauler, to haul my 79 CJ.)

I didn't get the camera to work yet, it was a DOA, the new one will be here in a week or two.

So you have the red/black/RCA style too? What keyed contact did you connect the red one up to?

and... isn't it fun to get the RCA plug through the tailgate boot, in the top?

Ron

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't it fun to get the RCA plug through the tailgate boot, in the top?

Ron

That is why I am going to run my wires through the boot before I connect the RCA plug to them so it will be much easier to squeeze it through there. I already have extra wires for the light bar I have in the back window running through the boot so it is getting very tight in there.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I do some towing, and planning on more. (I have a regular utility trailer, but planning on trading it for a dual axle car hauler, to haul my 79 CJ.)

I didn't get the camera to work yet, it was a DOA, the new one will be here in a week or two.

So you have the red/black/RCA style too? What keyed contact did you connect the red one up to?

and... isn't it fun to get the RCA plug through the tailgate boot, in the top?

Ron

I actually have it connected to a power cord running up to the dash with a cigarette lighter socket end and just plug it in when I want it on. I ran the wires from the center console under the pass seat and under the floor mat trim all the way to the back headliner trim and just have some wire hanging out ghetto style going into the tailgate trim LOL.

Then it runs down the tailgate trim and under the tail glass to the outside wiper LOLOLOL.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have it connected to a power cord running up to the dash with a cigarette lighter socket end and just plug it in when I want it on. I ran the wires from the center console under the pass seat and under the floor mat trim all the way to the back headliner trim and just have some wire hanging out ghetto style going into the tailgate trim LOL.

Then it runs down the tailgate trim and under the tail glass to the outside wiper LOLOLOL.

is this Dave? from Oregon? Hahahahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick