Info on these buttons??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjd3004

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. We got a 2004 Tahoe LT 4x4 traded in over the weekend. I went out this morning to check it out and found these buttons where the 4WD buttons normally reside. Anyone have these in their ride? I know the top one is the stability control and the bottom one looks to be 4 Lo, but I've never seen this setup before.

Attachments

• Tahoe 4WD Switch.jpg
    Tahoe 4WD Switch.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 114
OP
OP
T

tjd3004

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you have a AWD truck. So Traction, normal AWD and 4WD Lo.

That was my first thought, but I had no idea you could have low range with AWD. I have an 04 Denali with AWD and I have no buttons at all up there just a useless cubby. Thanks for the info!

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my first thought, but I had no idea you could have low range with AWD. I have an 04 Denali with AWD and I have no buttons at all up there just a useless cubby. Thanks for the info!

VETTE 66 is correct, this is how it works. I as well have the exact same buttons. AWD Truck!

OP
OP
T

tjd3004

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help identifying those! Now that I know I've gotta ask.. if that AWD system has a low range, why would you want anything else?? I know the Z71 Tahoe I owned had separate buttons for 2WD/4WD and 4LO, but it seems to me full time AWD with 4LO option would be perfect!

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would be really nice to be able to to put your AWD truck it to 2wd for some extra MPG. How often (depending on where you live) do you really need AWD all the time? in the 8 years I've owned my Denali I can count the times I needed the AWD on 1 hand. Don't get me wrong, I love the AWD over the 4x4 system. but it would be nice to have a 2wd option. I ended up changing mine over to a 2wd.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ol' Squiggly Line button

LOL LOL Man have I been all thru this when I bought my 2005 XL/SLT.
In a nutshell: It's a rare (Stabilitrac) option on a Yukon. What you (I) have is a hybrid cross between AWD (Denali) and 4x4 (Suburban). Denali's are AWD all-the-time = the worst gas mileage. Suburbans and most Yukons have 4-H/4-L/2-H. We have a computer-controlled system that directs power to computer-determined wheels WHEN NEEDED...AND have a 4-L option button. Just drive as normal and you let the computer decide when to more-or-less engage 4x4 . It also has the traction control. I TRIED to skid around and do donuts on an ice covered lot...it wouldn't! Gas mileage isn't bad = 21/22 mpg highway on mine. I could go into more detail, but that's basically it.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL LOL Man have I been all thru this when I bought my 2005 XL/SLT.
In a nutshell: It's a rare (Stabilitrac) option on a Yukon. What you (I) have is a hybrid cross between AWD (Denali) and 4x4 (Suburban). Denali's are AWD all-the-time = the worst gas mileage. Suburbans and most Yukons have 4-H/4-L/2-H. We have a computer-controlled system that directs power to computer-determined wheels WHEN NEEDED...AND have a 4-L option button. Just drive as normal and you let the computer decide when to more-or-less engage 4x4 . It also has the traction control. I TRIED to skid around and do donuts on an ice covered lot...it wouldn't! Gas mileage isn't bad = 21/22 mpg highway on mine. I could go into more detail, but that's basically it.

I as well have this feature, but my gas mileage is way worse than yours. 18 is the VERY BEST EVER on the Highway.

Is yours a 4.8 or 5.3L?

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG 2005 Yukon XL/SLT w/Squiggly Line LOL

MPG 23+. Don't know if the pic will attach.

Attachments

• HighMPG.JPG
    HighMPG.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse