Info on doing a 6 inch rough country lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCHUBS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys i am sorry if i am asking questions that are most likely answered, but i have been looking for the last couple hours and cant find it.

I have a 1997 GMC Yukon 4 Door 4WD i am looking at lifting. i work at a cadillac hummer dealer as a parts guy (i was a tech here for 5 years but moved to parts when we got slow) so i am on a pretty tight budget. I really don't off road much, pretty much an ashphalt queen aside from the ocational fun in a field.

Here are my questions

1. doing the 6 inch lift, are there any extras(upgrades i should get from the company) like up graded shocks and such?

2. what would be the best tire size to run with the truck just leveled not cranking on the torsion bars? 33x12.5x17 35x12.5x17 I dont want to do any trimming

3. If i was to go with 35x12.5x17 how badly would it hurt my MPG over the 33x12.5x17 i use the truck for a daily driver, and occational 4-8 a year tow my buddies trailer for his race car

4. How are the driveline angles with the lift, pinion angle?

5. What modifications has to be done to the truck while doing the lift? (longer brake hoses and are they supplied? lengthening wires for the speed sensors? relocation of component? modifying mounts to make thing fit?)

It would be a big help to if people could post pictures of there trucks with this lift, if the cranked the front end or not, if they have a body lift or not, prefferably no trucks with body lifts, and tire/wheel size and brand of tire.

if i think of more questions i will ask, And i want to say in advance that i appreciate it, THANKS:beer:

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have the 6 inch kit yet... But from prior research i found that upgraded shocks or buying a different shock brand in general. The stock shocks they send out I heard were bad... I believe the perf 2.2's are decent... I would go with a 35 inch tire it will look much better then a 33 inch tire. Depending on how wide of a tire you end up getting there might be some trimming involved at full lock. Tires dont really hurt your MPG, its the gearing in the axles. IF you have the 3.73 gears in the axle and put 35's on it it will make your MPG go down. If you want to do a 35 inch tire i would go with a 4.56 gearing.
The driveline angles will be fine. No one would make a lift kit that would mess up the driveline angles i dont think..... If you have autotrac 4x4 youll have to buy a new driveshaft from roughcountry. Pretty sure you can find alot of information from the roughcountry website. IF you really want some help email them... or go to the roughcountry page on this website and post this.

mudslinger96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picture.jpg
Rcx 6" cranked with rear aal on 37x13.50r18. most people don't like there shocks bscause they have a stiff ride. I can't complain i like the stiffer ride i upgraded to nitro 9000. You can also upgrade to the steering stabilizer. You will have to get the rear sway bar links if you plan on keeping your rear sway bar you will also have to add the torsion bar kit to use your stock tb crossmember. For easier install go to their website and download the manual it really helps out that's what i did.

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mudslinger96. That is a nice looking truck! my 2 door will look like that one of these days.....

mudslinger96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 19Yukon97 I'm trying to save up to do a paint job and a 3" BL. I have always liked the 2 doors but having 2 kids i went with the 4 door

OP
OP
S

SCHUBS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info that really helps, looks like i have more research to do, but i have plenty of time, planning on buying the kit with my tax return money in the spring.

I am wondering about the drive shaft mentioned, i dont have auto 4WD. so not sure if that is auto track or not

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Its not then. U should revear tho because if not you risk killing the trans quicker and it will be more strain to the engine and slower. My bd lift is badass but i want a 6 inch rcx but dont have the funds

Fishintahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info that really helps, looks like i have more research to do, but i have plenty of time, planning on buying the kit with my tax return money in the spring.

I am wondering about the drive shaft mentioned, i dont have auto 4WD. so not sure if that is auto track or not

If ur 2 door has the 4x4 shifter on the floor, then you wont need that drive shaft. Its only needed if ur rig has the push button 4x4. I have the RXC kit with 35s. you will definetly need to regear after putting on the bigger tires. Also, after you install the lift, you will need to have a muffler shop replace a section of the exhaust that needs to be cut out due to front drive shaft being in the way.

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is that the Cepek lift didn't care if you had auto track and all the other lifts you have to change out the front drive shaft? What made it so different? I'm going to do the RC lift on mine as soon as I quite spending money on all the little stuff on my hoe :banghead:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10