Increase gas pedal return spring pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AltxF4

Reaction score
I don't know if it is just me or what, but I feel may gas pedal return spring is just too weak for how sensitive my throttle response is. A slight bump in the road, and with the light pressure needed to hold my throttle constant I end up surging a bit. This is probably not great for any attempts for fuel economy.

Has anybody tried to increase the throttle return spring rate?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not personally but I would think it would be as simple as putting a different spring in, I see spring kits (variety packs) for sale on ebay

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
After playing around trying to figure things out, I think it seems my throttle requested compared to throttle given is way to close in ratio. The slightest touch on the gas pedal will result in noticeable RPM changes. I don't think springs on the gas pedal will help.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a 05 tahoe and i too have a super soft gas pedal. i drive a 05 3500 at work and its pedal is a lot firmer, the 2015 work trucks pedal was like a rock when it was new, its since freed up but not soft for sure.

i was planning on seeing if the spring in the pedal was replaceable as well.

cant see the tune making the pedal harder or softer.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
i got a 05 tahoe and i too have a super soft gas pedal. i drive a 05 3500 at work and its pedal is a lot firmer, the 2015 work trucks pedal was like a rock when it was new, its since freed up but not soft for sure.

i was planning on seeing if the spring in the pedal was replaceable as well.

cant see the tune making the pedal harder or softer.
Is the 3500 dbw or dbc?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its all DBW. ive not seen a cable since 97-99? when ever the tbi set ups went out.

my cable took a dump on my 97 100 miles from home, had to tie a string to the tb and work it that way 30 miles to a dealership to get a new one, took maybe 10 minutes to replace in the dealer lot lol good times man.....

the spring is on the tb with a dbc, spring is in the pedal with a dbw.

looks like two springs, the round one inside the pedal linkage and the other obvious one up top there. wonder if swapping the easy looking one would help it out?

https://www.partsgeek.com/dpjrcql-chevrolet-silverado-2500-hd-accelerator-pedal-sensor.html

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
Yeah, I know a tune will not do anything for the spring rate. I was just thinking the throttle sensitivity is the more problematic part of my situation.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took a peek at my pedal yesterday, the one long spring you can see, looks like you can get to it pretty easy, it was raining out so i just looked up there.

i totally forgot to look at the 05 3500 mason dumps pedal, it might have a stronger spring on it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a device called Pedal Commander which allows you to adjust throttle response but it's not cheap. There's a thread here about it with people generally having great reviews. It let's you set several different modes and you can change on the fly.

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
There is a device called Pedal Commander which allows you to adjust throttle response but it's not cheap. There's a thread here about it with people generally having great reviews. It let's you set several different modes and you can change on the fly.
Yeah, I have used a device similar to that with my Audi vehicles since often the throttle can feel sluggish. Never thought to use it for the opposite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts