In the market…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hitdawg742

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all- in the market to get my wife a 07-14 body style Tahoe. Seeing a bunch out there for around 8-10k with anywhere from 170k-250k miles. I have a buddy asking 9k for a mint Z71. He is ex military and really takes pride and care of this Tahoe. It has 250k which seems high. No rust, no issues other than the infamous cracked dash. It’s not officially listed yet so I don’t have any photos. Anyone have any insight for me? Is that a fair price? It’s all stock has a level and bilstein shocks all around. Tires are newer. Is it worth getting into these trucks with miles this high? Let me know your thoughts! Full disclosure I have an 04 with 170k which I love. You’ll see photos of it on this site. Thanks all.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that mileage I'd keep looking, especially for a vehicle that the wife is going to be driving.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2

For $9k you can get a decent Denali with low mileage.
Regardless of the year or make/model that you buy just be aware that anything over 100k miles will need trans work (unless it has already recently been done, which you will want to see paperwork for). You will also want to plan for an AFM/DoD delete in addition to whatever other repairs may be needed.
I’m not trying to scare you off, just rather help make you aware of things to keep in mind.

OP
OP
hitdawg742

hitdawg742

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
x2

For $9k you can get a decent Denali with low mileage.
Regardless of the year or make/model that you buy just be aware that anything over 100k miles will need trans work (unless it has already recently been done, which you will want to see paperwork for). You will also want to plan for an AFM/DoD delete in addition to whatever other repairs may be needed.
I’m not trying to scare you off, just rather help make you aware of things to keep in mind.
Forgot to mention tranny was just replaced. Genuine GM dealer with warranty.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read that wrong. I was thinking you were looking at one with 170k miles for $9k. You’re asking about one with 250k+. That would be a hard pass for me, even with a new tranny.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on how much money you have to spend on repairs when they pop up. if you're breaking the bank up front price (or loan) that leaves you stuck with no way to pay for say a new engine of it goes, or other repairs then that makes it hard.

but if you've got some spare money, are a decent mechanic that doesn't mind fixing atleast small stuff like radiators, water pump and hoses. fluids and things like that. depending on if you have a good repair history on it. you might get lucky and found a good deal where he's fixed everything that seems to fall apart around 130-180k on these trucks.

guys will definitely give you a list to ask about but off the top of my head, ask about the afm stuff, repairs or delete. thats a big deal. you said tranny done, that's nice. cooling system, radiator, flush and there's some T's up by the firewall that snap off at some point.

wheel hub bearings seem to go out often once the oem set go bad, all replacement parts are junk. wear parts like ball joins and tie rod ends. probably time to check if I joints have been replaced and last time axle fluids changed, if 4x4 both and transfer case.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m with the others here. That’s a lot of money for one with that many miles on it, but it is really important to buy one that you know has been meticulously maintained. It’s no longer a sellers market on full-size SUVs. Maybe offer him 7000 and see what he says. He won’t get anywhere near that for a trade-in value on a newer car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork