IMPORTANT: The Chronicles of Low Oil Pressure by 07burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

savagebasher

Reaction score
Quick update... the shop replaced the oil pressure switch as that had a small leak anyway.. but that did not resolve the issue. Turns out it was a clogged\defective Amsoil oil filter. Not sure who makes them.. Wix?

The filter had 3k miles on it. I am lucky this did not turn catastrophic and hopefully no residual damage occured. Oil Pressure now cruising on the freeway is around 45-50. City driving it fluctuates a bit more but never under 25 now. I think I would still like to clean out the screen though.

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick update... the shop replaced the oil pressure switch as that had a small leak anyway.. but that did not resolve the issue. Turns out it was a clogged\defective Amsoil oil filter. Not sure who makes them.. Wix?

The filter had 3k miles on it. I am lucky this did not turn catastrophic and hopefully no residual damage occured. Oil Pressure now cruising on the freeway is around 45-50. City driving it fluctuates a bit more but never under 25 now. I think I would still like to clean out the screen though.
Tread lightly because while changing the oil makes one feel like the issue is resolved it usually does not as the issue will show itself again. Ask me how I know. I would definitely either clean the screen or simply toss it in the trash. It literally serves no foreseeable purpose. :waytogo:

savagebasher

Reaction score
Tread lightly because while changing the oil makes one feel like the issue is resolved it usually does not as the issue will show itself again. Ask me how I know. I would definitely either clean the screen or simply toss it in the trash. It literally serves no foreseeable purpose. :waytogo:

Yeah.. I reread your posts and I think I could be following the same pattern.. so the screen can be removed entirely? You also did the O ring once right?

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. I reread your posts and I think I could be following the same pattern.. so the screen can be removed entirely? You also did the O ring once right?
Yes, the screen can be removed and yes I did the O ring replacement.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Yes, the screen can be removed and yes I did the O ring replacement.

I removed the screen on my '08 Suburban when I installed the new HV/HP oil pump and O-ring and oil sending unit. I did all of this to get rid of a slight lifter tick when idling for extended periods of time (20+mins). My oil pressure would never drop below 20-25psi but I would still get the tick.

With all of that replaced I have no more ticking but the ECU "thinks" I have too much pressure so it sets the code for the "oil pressure sending unit pressure/range"... i can't think of the code right now (P0523???).

I installed a remote mount dual oil filter setup with an oil cooler ran off the factory oil filter location ( NOT the factory oil cooler fitting above the filter) in hopes to reduce the oil pressure "seen" at the sending unit but this had little to no effect on the gauge reading so the code still remains. On a positive note, at least for me it is, the truck now holds 8 quarts of oil which is a good thing in my opinion.

I am actually considering replacing the screen in hopes that it will reduce the perceived oil pressure to the ECU.

I get 70-75 psi cold start up idle and about 60 psi hot idle with the new pump.

These AFM engines come from the factory with a HV oil pump. I figured going to a HV/HP pump wouldn't be a bad idea for a high mileage engine (185k when replaced/204k now). It is only supposed to be 10% more pressure than stock which in my estimation should only be 5-6 psi.

I know that this may not be pertinent to this exact situation but I thought I would mention it because my ticking would get worse when the oil filter would get 2k-3k miles on it and changing the filter would alleviate the problem temporarily.

Last edited:

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you're DIYing the job you can pick up the Dormal replacement screen below and just toss out the old one. There are a few good videos on YouTube with tips on how to do this.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-143-Pressure-Sensor-Filter/dp/B00YJG4BE2/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet|47&Model=Tahoe|499&Year=2007|2007&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Also if your truck's RWD you could easily replace the O-Ring with the one below in about 4 hours taking your time. It's a bit more involved with a 4x4 truck due to the front axles but still doable.

https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-7240...&qid=1515172792&sr=1-4&keywords=felpro+o+ring

With your truck being an '07 I highly recommend you do both of the repairs listed above.

It's kind of crazy how the cheap and minor parts listed give owners so much grief. :mad:

Last edited:

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told when you change the oil sensor, you need to unplug battery for a period to reset something. Maybe thats why its not fixed after changing sensor?

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're DIYing the job you can pick up the Dormal replacement screen below and just toss out the old one. There are a few good videos on YouTube with tips on how to do this.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-143-Pressure-Sensor-Filter/dp/B00YJG4BE2/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet|47&Model=Tahoe|499&Year=2007|2007&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Also if your truck's RWD you could easily replace the O-Ring with the one below in about 4 hours taking your time. It's a bit more involved with a 4x4 truck due to the front axles but still doable.

https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-7240...&qid=1515172792&sr=1-4&keywords=felpro+o+ring

With your truck being an '07 I highly recommend you do both of the repairs listed above.

It's kind of crazy how the cheap and minor parts listed give owners so much grief. :mad:

Cant you just clean the screen? Maybe throttle body or brake cleaner and an air pressure can? I hear some people clean instead of replacing.

rook

Reaction score
Do let us know. Sounds exactly like mine though. Good luck-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tried to do this job and I couldn't even get the harness off. I can barely pull up on the white piece. I can't see nor push a button to release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518