IMPORTANT: The Chronicles of Low Oil Pressure by 07burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rook,

Do you by any chance have the part number of the rubber grommet/o-ring that you replaced?

rook

Reaction score
@CobraKing - I don't. Went to the dealership parts counter on a quiet morning and went screen by screen on the computer with the lady at the counter to make sure I got the right thing. I actually got the grommet and an oil pan gasket, that was it.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rook, thanks for the prompt reply. I'm looking to order some parts from Rock Auto and this is what they have categorized under 'Oil Pump Seal'.

FEL-PRO 72401 Oil Pump Seal

Truck's 2WD so I hope the job goes smoothly. Apart from the oil pan gasket and the o-ring did you have to replace anything else?

rook

Reaction score
Nope. I changed the oil/filter, but that doesn't really count. Good luck. C heck back and let us know how it went. And take pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be dropping the pan on my 2000 5.3 with 280k as my oil pressure is low at first start-up but is just fine when it warms up. The "Low Oil Pressure" warning light came on for the first time ever the other day and the oil leak its had for the past five years is getting noticeably worse. I too have tried all types of oil and filters. This will probably turn into a rear main seal project after I get the pan off and can see where its leaking from.

Andrew1068

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been having oil pressure issues as well as a random stalling when cold. An old timer suggested a heavier weight oil to help with pressure? Anyone tried this? I plan to try the engine cleaner suggested and additive but am curious what the heavier weight would do. Does everyone run the suggested 5w30?

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Andrew1068 What model year truck do you have and is it RWD or 4x4?

Running a heavier weight oil is a band-aid and the real problem is the O-ring. FWIW, my 2014 ex-police Tahoe (with higher mileage) was exhibiting lower than normal oil pressure so I replaced the O-ring myself.

The video below is excellent and details what the problem is:

Last edited:

Andrew1068

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Andrew1068 What model year truck do you have and is it RWD or 4x4?

Running a heavier weight oil is a band-aid and the real problem is the O-ring. FWIW, my 2014 ex-police Tahoe (with higher mileage) was exhibiting lower than normal oil pressure so I replaced the O-ring myself.

The video below is excellent and details what the problem is:

My vehicle is an 09 Tahoe 4wd with 119k

Andrew1068

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just completed the oil change with cleaner and additive the original post used. I have better pressure than before but at idle it is slightly below 40 and under stress slightly above. Not sure what normal pressure would be.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the fresh oil and filter those oil pressure numbers are within spec. I would monitor the situation over the next few weeks going forward.

Replacing the O-ring on a 4x4 truck is more involved due to the front axles but everything else remains the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV