I'm about to buy gears, need advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axekick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Tahoe 4wd. It has a 3.42 gear ratio which is way too high. I want to buy gears now, I'm pretty excited about it. I know 4.10 would be good, but would 4.56 be way too low on stock tires? I think they might be all right. I need to be able to cruise 70 mph for long periods but I want to be able to burn off from a light. I'll whatch my speedo this afternoon and see what RPM I'm at when going 70. I can do the math, I just wanted to hear some experienced opinions.

My truck is lowered but I may get larger wheels and tires. 3.42s are so high I definitely want to put the gears in before I get bigger tires but it will be a while before I can buy wheels and tires so I'll be riding stockers for a while with whatever gears I get.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
remember to add in, you have both front and rear, so double the cost.

Look at 4.30's if your stuck between 4.10 and 4.56's.

OP
OP
axekick

axekick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt. There is a seller on ebay that sells complete front and rear kits with gears and master install kits for under or right around $500. I can install them myself. I'll email them and see if they'll put together a kit with 4.30's. Good call.

OP
OP
axekick

axekick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Its drivetrain_parts. Check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e..._trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=1&category=33731

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

They put together a set with 4.30s. They cost more for some reason but they did it in like 30 minutes. I like their return policies and stuff. It makes me feel comfortable so I bought it. I can't wait to do the install. I'm capable of doing gears, I've done it before, but are there any writeups on the net with pics? Thats how I did it on my Yota. It had third member though, so I just did it on a table.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm spinning around 2100 rpm at 65 mph on 32.5" tires with 4.56s. You're probably going to be cruising much higher with the stock tires, and I'm sure you'll notice a drop in mpg, especially long highway trips. Do you know what size tires you're planning on? Also, like blueflamed mentioned above, look into the 4.30s. Motive Gear makes a set with that ratio.

OP
OP
axekick

axekick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just ordered 4.30s. My stock tires are 29.08 (in the computer). I'll probably go with some 31's or so. I don't know yet. I want to put Cop Tahoe wheels and tires on if I can find some. JK, I want to see your truck sometime.

I was out of town for work this week. My wifey took the Tahoe to work. During my obligatory nightly phone call she was like, "There was this truck that said SS on it." I said, "yeah,, those are faster than mine." Then she was like, "yeah it beat me." Now I have to try to make mine faster.

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just ordered 4.30s. My stock tires are 29.08 (in the computer). I'll probably go with some 31's or so. I don't know yet. I want to put Cop Tahoe wheels and tires on if I can find some. JK, I want to see your truck sometime.

I was out of town for work this week. My wifey took the Tahoe to work. During my obligatory nightly phone call she was like, "There was this truck that said SS on it." I said, "yeah,, those are faster than mine." Then she was like, "yeah it beat me." Now I have to try to make mine faster.
lol. Boost it 81931bd7.gif

I'll be at the TX Heat Wave show this yr. You going?

OP
OP
axekick

axekick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. Boost it

I wish. I'll be doing my gears, then probably a cam and valvetrain upgrade. I can't go too crazy spending money on it. But I do admire those trucks that are all out.

I'll be at the TX Heat Wave show this yr. You going?

When and where? Can you just go as a spectator? My favorite thing about your truck is that you built it yourself. Nothing makes you love a machine like building it. I'll be doing my gears in the near future. I know you hurried to get yours done for the Houston meet. Did you do front and back? Did you get it done in a weekend?

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When and where? Can you just go as a spectator? My favorite thing about your truck is that you built it yourself. Nothing makes you love a machine like building it. I'll be doing my gears in the near future. I know you hurried to get yours done for the Houston meet. Did you do front and back? Did you get it done in a weekend?
Tx Expo Center off Decker Ln. It's usually around the end of July. IIRC, it's $20 to get in.
I did just the rear, as mine is only 2wd, and I did it overnight the night before the Houston meet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz