Illuminated cup holders Tahoe (How-to)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed LED's in the cubby where (I think) the tape deck usually is. I used 3mm pre-wired white LED's I got off eBay. Based on Eagle's advice, I took a nail file and scuffed the surface of the two I installed, the light is MUCH more subtle and more like a slight glow than a light - just the effect i was looking for.

I'm at work right now, so I can't give any pics, but I plan on doing the other cubby and the cupholders this wekk, so will take some pics then. I also know whatever drill bit I used gave the perfect hole for the 3mm LED's, so I'll list that up as well.

Sorry for bringing up old thread, but it is a DIY one, so this may help..

but did you ever get some pics of your install and what are you guys that did this wiring the lights to so they can dim. Im thinking of doing this subtle look and just curious what you wired them to. I know 12v, but what? Like the cig lighter? Or if you have a pic also of where you wired them.

thanks

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the Bose system with the subwoofer under the console, you can wire the positive for the LED's to the pink wire in the harness directly under the cupholders. Just buy one of those crimp splice pieces. I just found a screw attached to metal near the same place (console mount) to ground them. They don't dim, but only turn on when the subwoofer does (key turned, doors unlocked, etc). I bought radio shack LED's that have nuts on the backside, so they did not require any glue. If you get very subtle dim LED's, you don't really need to dim them.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the Bose system with the subwoofer under the console, you can wire the positive for the LED's to the pink wire in the harness directly under the cupholders. Just buy one of those crimp splice pieces. I just found a screw attached to metal near the same place (console mount) to ground them. They don't dim, but only turn on when the subwoofer does (key turned, doors unlocked, etc). I bought radio shack LED's that have nuts on the backside, so they did not require any glue. If you get very subtle dim LED's, you don't really need to dim them.

yeah i have bose. Appreciate the info.. I'll have to check them out..

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up old thread, but it is a DIY one, so this may help..

but did you ever get some pics of your install and what are you guys that did this wiring the lights to so they can dim. Im thinking of doing this subtle look and just curious what you wired them to. I know 12v, but what? Like the cig lighter? Or if you have a pic also of where you wired them.

thanks

No, I didn't, and to be perfectly honest I totally forgot. (The g/f's mom passed right around when I posted that, so haven't been on in a while.) I'll make a note to get pics of where I tapped and install pics at lunch, will try to get lit up pics tonight or tomorrow after dark.

I know that I did NOT tap the pink wire as everyone else is saying. I want to say I tapped a light blue wire...the rub here is that it only read at 5v with the multimeter. This adds to the subtle effect, since the LED's are 12v, and I'm not powering them 100%.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't, and to be perfectly honest I totally forgot. (The g/f's mom passed right around when I posted that, so haven't been on in a while.) I'll make a note to get pics of where I tapped and install pics at lunch, will try to get lit up pics tonight or tomorrow after dark.

I know that I did NOT tap the pink wire as everyone else is saying. I want to say I tapped a light blue wire...the rub here is that it only read at 5v with the multimeter. This adds to the subtle effect, since the LED's are 12v, and I'm not powering them 100%.

Cool, thanks man. Whenever you get the chance. Id like to know what you plugged into. I would like the subtle look also, not really full brightness. Just a sort of glow per say..

Redhoe01

The BDG
Reaction score
I want to do this mod but elec stuff scares me. If anyone has the time, please post a pic of the 12V dash wires I can access to do this. I dont have bose stereo so I dont have the center console sub to access. Can I use the tape deck wires that is in the center console?

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's a couple of pics I took yesterday showing where I hooked up. It's the royal blue wire, second slot from the corner, right between baby blue and orange. I ran a lead with a quick-connect and wired the LED's into that, this way if I need to take the cubby out there's no problem. Originally, I grounded to the 12v outlet...yeah, not so good. Power from amp harness + ground from 12v outlet = blowing fuse every other day. Moved the ground to under the cupholders, also with a quick connect just in case, no problems since.

As noted earlier, my LED's are 3mm, so they are smaller. I also tapped into a line that appeared to only carry 5V, so they don't get lit as bright. I scuffed the entire outside with a nail file to diffuse the light a little more, also need to pop them back out and paint the tips better, as the lights shine right into the eyes of a passenger in the back seat. (I tried to hit them with a sharpie while installed...yeah, not so much.) I didn't check what drill bit I used, but I know it was perfect for 3mm LED's, nice and tight, no glue needed. Overall, just a simple glow to let you know something's in there, kinda like opera lighting.

Attachments

• IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG0077.jpg
    IMAG0077.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, you guys are lighting up the cubbies. I just did my actually cupholders. Are the cubbies hard to remove? I would like to add a couple to both cubbies if it's easy.

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cubbies come out in one piece, just have to pry a little bit harder because it's got those spring clip retainers holding it in place. Then the 12v outlets have plugs to remove.

Way I saw it, the cup holders have light from the windows...cubbies get darker faster. Not to say I won't go back and do the cupholders too, since I got about 100 LED's leftover here, but the cubbies were the 1st one I wanted to tackle. Now that I have power and ground leads run, I can add the cupholders easier anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia