Illuminated cup holders Tahoe (How-to)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to drill holes and mount LED's in the top of the cubbies as opposed to the backs? That way, the lights don't shine towards people in the back seats.

bsims3996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i did this i got power from the A/C controls so they can dim with all the factory lights. i believe their was 2 power wires, 1 constant and one that worked when the lights came on. and grounded it under the cupholder, beside the bose amp

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to drill holes and mount LED's in the top of the cubbies as opposed to the backs? That way, the lights don't shine towards people in the back seats.

For the top one? Definately. The bottom one might be a little tricky because of the angle. It's just easier to know going in that you have to paint the tips.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i did this i got power from the A/C controls so they can dim with all the factory lights. i believe their was 2 power wires, 1 constant and one that worked when the lights came on. and grounded it under the cupholder, beside the bose amp

Do you remember what color they were? So they can dim. Im either going w/ low volt one, or just have them dim.

ScottL4619

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the lowest intensity LED's Radioshack had and I couldn't see having to dim them. Even with the rest of my interior lights dimmed, my cupholder LED's just have a nice glow to them. I've heard (but it may not be correct) that LED's don't dim all that well.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the lowest intensity LED's Radioshack had and I couldn't see having to dim them. Even with the rest of my interior lights dimmed, my cupholder LED's just have a nice glow to them. I've heard (but it may not be correct) that LED's don't dim all that well.

Ok, thanks, i havent really heard of them dimming, but worth a shot, i'll just go w/ the low volt ones and have the subtle glow.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post some night pics guys (if it's even possible), curious on how much brighter they are compared to other lit items in the truck!! Sounds like a cool and easy mod to do!!

MikeTheApeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard (but it may not be correct) that LED's don't dim all that well.

In order for LED's to truly dim, you need a PWM circuit, and that sure ain't part of this deal.
EDIT: Looking at that video, I stand corrected...I think...cause they sure look like they are dimming.

As mentioned later, they aren't giving off a whole lot of light. Install them first. If too bright, then scuff the surface with a nail file. Simple, cheap, and easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442