Ignition key question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RTedder2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A few months ago I bought an 05 Avalanche and I needed a new key for it; went to lowes, a couple of bucks later, simple cheap key. Read on the interwebs that the part that is the big deal was the fob.
So last month I bought my wife an 09 Tahoe that I'm having a set of keys made for eventually. In this vehicle can I go get a cheapo key as long as a remote is present all will be well? I currently have one extra key and waiting on another fob to come in and be programmed.

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, lowe's carries the keys with the "chip" in it. You don't have to have the remote as far as I know. I have a 07 Denali and they made a key for me. I went out to the truck and performed the relearn key process and it started right up.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaCrap!

OP
OP
R

RTedder2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I was hoping. I like having 3 sets of keys for this reason.

tuck16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This dovetails nicely with my dilemma, have had an '14 Yukon XL for a month or so and the key fell off my key ring. I still have the fob and my wife still has her keys. Can i get a generic key with a chip made and if so is there a process that i can do to relearn the new key into the mix?

YukonAZ

Reaction score
All that is needed to relearn new keys is a good working key and the new chipped keys to be programmed, start by inserting the working key I and starting the vehicle, turn the vehicle off and then insert the new key and just turn ignition on then off and repeat with any other keys to be programmed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6