I need help with winter coming & I have electrical issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zigger21

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon XL Denali with Aftermarket LED full enclosed LED Tail light, Im not saying its it but hear me out. I have a slow electrical leak that will drain my battery over a weeks time. I pulled the Radio, Dash, under the dash and wrapped anything that I think may drain because I have a Auto start and I wanted to make sure nothing came loose. Also I installed Aftermarket full LED tail lights and what is weird is when I charge my battery with my battery charger when the battery starts to get a full charge the rear tail lights have a dim light coming out of them and the key is out nothing is on but it has a dim light on the 30 LED red lights are dimly lit. Do I need to put resistors on the stop light or running red lights to make the light stop turning on when the charger is charging the battery and the turning the rear red stop/running lights. Im charging the battery right now and Im going to unhook the rear red LED lights to see if it drains the battery at all. If it doesn't drain it what can I do when I connect them back up> resistors on the power wire to the LED lights. Please help. I have about 3 weeks and it gets 0 degrees and below. Thank you so much for looking at my thread and I truly appreciate if you have any suggestions. Take Care. Jonathan

Sparky_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put resistors in the circuit, you'll just heat up the resistors instead of lighting the LEDs, it won't solve your problem.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. You need to find out if power is being supplied to the tail lights, which would be a problem with your vehicle wiring and not the tail lights. You should buy a cheap multimeter to check for voltage in the wires going to your tail lights. There should be none. Good luck, this could be difficult to diagnose. The dim lights indicates to me that there is a current leak in your wiring.

Yukon2000xl

Reaction score
Put a multimeter between positive cable and batt, pull fuses until your current draw stops then inspect that whole circuit to find issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try putting the stock taillights back in. If the battery drain stops, then you have a good starting point to start troubleshooting.

OP
OP
Zigger21

Zigger21

Reaction score
Would pulling the LED tail lights and the drain stops the problem is the tail lights and if I hook up the tail light connections one by one would eliminate or confirm its either the running, stop, lights because those are the ones that light up dimly when I charge the battery while the battery is in the Yukon. Would I have to put the original tail lights back on. I have a Fluke 87 and Ill check each connection on the run and stop lights to see if I have any voltage coming out of one of the plugs. If the tail lights are not the problem I have to pull the fuses one by one. Thank you so much for the help and giving me idea's what I need to do. Take care guys. Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zigger21

Zigger21

Reaction score
If you put resistors in the circuit, you'll just heat up the resistors instead of lighting the LEDs, it won't solve your problem.

Its a Minuit amp draw it holds a good draw through 7 days on a full charge in the middle of winter if the resistor could take away the little amp draw it may help but I would love for it to be gone on forever but Im getting frustrated with this.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a Minuit amp draw it holds a good draw through 7 days on a full charge in the middle of winter if the resistor could take away the little amp draw it may help but I would love for it to be gone on forever but Im getting frustrated with this.
A resistor won't remove the draw but only hide it by turning it into heat instead of light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC GUy