Hybrid Fuel Gauge Recalibration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twice now, my wife has run out of fuel in our 08 Tahoe Hybrid. The first time, the range indicator showed 35 miles to go. The second time, it was closer to 60 miles. In both cases, there was never an idiot light or a DIC message until the engine actually shut off.

Is there a way to recalibrate the fuel level sensors?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was she going downhill by chance? When you fill it up does it go past full? I’m not aware of a calibration but I don’t have a shop manual.

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. We live in the flat lands of SE Georgia. It does seem to stay on Full forever then races to empty.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as I know there is no calibration, if there is a problem you generally just replace the sending unit and in that case may as well do the fuel pump since it is the same procedure and comes with a fuel pump as a complete assembly, you can get them separate but no sense in doing one and not the other. Generally you can find the best prices for fuel pumps on ebay you just need to know the part number needed, if you do go that route go with OEM

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that actually change what it sends the fuel gauge?

EDIT: I see now it comes with a float...

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. It’s not the most fun but you’ll be good for another 100k.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would that actually change what it sends the fuel gauge?

EDIT: I see now it comes with a float...

MTE It's an Estimate, usually drawn from the current MPG average.(or last x # miles) I know on my highway trip recently it said 600+miles to empty after a long stretch. Usually my in town MTE is much lower.
watch the needle, as for no dummy light, that's strange, perhaps the float is stuck.

2 options:
Replace the float/pump assembly
or
reset the trip computer at each fill up and then fill up at a set miles that you are comfortable with.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twice now, my wife has run out of fuel in our 08 Tahoe Hybrid. The first time, the range indicator showed 35 miles to go. The second time, it was closer to 60 miles. In both cases, there was never an idiot light or a DIC message until the engine actually shut off.

Is there a way to recalibrate the fuel level sensors?
the step motor is bad or the level sensor is bad or both

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never run my HYHO low enough on fuel to see it it has a low fuel level light. I might do that this weekend just to see...........I typically refill the tank if I get down to less than 1/2 full but of course I am NOT a woman and it does seem to be their "thing" to run a vehicle all the way down as close to empty as possible. I would have all kinds of "range anxiety" happening at under 1/4 tank LMFAO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts