How to Recharge your Air Conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrsavoie

Reaction score
5 vehicles total all of the vehicles were changed to R134 years ago. They've all had new pumps & filters & a lot of other stuff.

I do not do AC work myself. I have a card but for years I was on the road. So I've hired everything done. Consequently I have no idea what was done or how it was done. But It wasn't done good enough apparently

Or is it that R134 just doesn't get as cold as R12?

But the 69 had the aftermarket with R134 and it blew colder than any of the other vehicles.

Is there a way to make these vehicles cold?

Do new vehicles blow ice cold?

I need to know if these vehicles can be made ice cold with an aftermarket system or whatever or if I need to be selling stuff and buying a new vehicle.

Did you flush the system of old oil and refrigerant? did you change all the seals and o-rings? Replace your accumulator? Did you evacuate them really well? As long as there are no leaks R-12 is more efficient at it job then r-134a.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Nothing blows as cold as the older cars anymore. Its just with all the EPA, air pollutant shit going on. Both are extremely bad for the ozone but whatver

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Like I said r-134a is not as efficient as r-12 but it can still do a good job when working properly. I would say now that you should pick with the worst performance and throw some gauges on it and see what is going on in there.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like using the 30 lb bottles. It’s a lot cheaper in the long run. When my R-12 bottle ran out, I got the new “Hot Shot” R-414B. It takes the place of R-12, R-134a, R-500 and 8 other versions of Freon.

The thing to keep in mind about the various versions of Freon is that they all run at different pressures. For example, Puron, that has taken the place of R-22 in residential units, runs around 150 psi on the low side, where R-22 ran around 70 psi.

There are some new gauge sets out there that have all the various scales on them, but they are expensive. :)

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did my buddys truck at my tech school for 20 bucks should have done mine too before summer but im more a windows down person so its not really botherd me haha. but it would be good to know it will be really cold when i need it

jrsavoie

Reaction score
Does R-414B get colder than R-134?

What does it take to change over from R-134 to R-414B?

Thanks

I like using the 30 lb bottles. It’s a lot cheaper in the long run. When my R-12 bottle ran out, I got the new “Hot Shot” R-414B. It takes the place of R-12, R-134a, R-500 and 8 other versions of Freon.

The thing to keep in mind about the various versions of Freon is that they all run at different pressures. For example, Puron, that has taken the place of R-22 in residential units, runs around 150 psi on the low side, where R-22 ran around 70 psi.

There are some new gauge sets out there that have all the various scales on them, but they are expensive. :)

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does R-414B get colder than R-134?

What does it take to change over from R-134 to R-414B?

Thanks

When I switched over, I just ran the vacuum pump on the system, and loaded the R-414B, by weight. Each vehicle has a label as to the exact amount of freon required for that system.

No other changes were done and I can’t tell the difference between the old freon versus the new.

Between myself and friends, we do enough engine mods, where the air con has to be removed during the mod, that re-charging air cons, is done often enough to make the 30 lb bottle the only sensible way to go.

BlkYukon95

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have zero A/C experience. I got my truck in Jan and the ac has not worked. I do not hear the compressor kick in at all (which thanks to this thread tells me it may just be the safety feature that shuts it off with no freon in the system).

So where should I start to get my truck cold? What type of freon does my truck take ('95)?

Thanks!

jrsavoie

Reaction score
Were you switching from R12 or R134?

How cold is it? Ice Cold? very cold? or just cold? What's your best guestimation?

When I switched over, I just ran the vacuum pump on the system, and loaded the R-414B, by weight. Each vehicle has a label as to the exact amount of freon required for that system.

No other changes were done and I can’t tell the difference between the old freon versus the new.

Between myself and friends, we do enough engine mods, where the air con has to be removed during the mod, that re-charging air cons, is done often enough to make the 30 lb bottle the only sensible way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kchaga1978