How to put AWD into neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced all suspension, and did brakes at the same time. Have what sounds like a rotor rubbing on something. Only happens while steering wheel is turning right. How do I put the AWD into neutral to diagnose? Shift transmission into N? Pull driveshaft? Or some other method?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the NVG 246 transfer case? It has the 4-button shift control.

If so:

This transfer case also has a Neutral position. A shift to the Neutral position allows the vehicle to be
towed without rotating the transmission output shaft. Neutral position may be obtained only if the following
criteria has been met:
• The engine is running.
• The automatic transmission is in Neutral.
• The vehicle speed is below 5 km/h (3 mph).
• The transfer case is in 2HI mode.
Once these conditions have been met, press and hold both the 2HI and 4LO buttons for 10 seconds.
When the system completes the shift to neutral, the red neutral lamp will illuminate.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the Borg Warner 4482 Transfer Case with 3-button shift control:

This transfer case also has a Neutral position. A shift to the Neutral position allows the vehicle to be
towed without the transmission output shaft rotating. Refer to the Owners Manual for instructions for
proper towing of the vehicle.
Neutral position may be obtained only if the following criteria have been met:
• The ignition switch is ON.
• The automatic transmission is in Neutral.
• The vehicle speed is below 5 km/h (3 mph).
• The transfer case is in the 4HI mode.
Once these conditions have been met, press and hold both the 4HI and 4LO Lock buttons for
10 seconds. When the system completes the shift to neutral, the red neutral indicator will illuminate.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(warning do this on a flat surface) Just put it in park jack up all 4 wheels and it will be in neutral, the AWD does not actually have a park, the front & rear wheels bind up to each other when sitting on the ground

OP
OP
live2pull

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(warning do this on a flat surface) Just put it in park jack up all 4 wheels and it will be in neutral, the AWD does not actually have a park, the front & rear wheels bind up to each other when sitting on the ground

Thanks, the TC in the Denali does not have any button actuators, should have mentioned this in my original message. I think the noise is more a nuisance than an issue, but I have to OCD of, "That isn't right, must fix." Thanks for the reply's, will update with findings.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, the TC in the Denali does not have any button actuators, should have mentioned this in my original message. I think the noise is more a nuisance than an issue, but I have to OCD of, "That isn't right, must fix." Thanks for the reply's, will update with findings.

What year?

OP
OP
live2pull

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a 2004, I have updated my signature (sorry a little late):sorrysign: just looked up RPO code BW4481 TC

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chslax10