How to: Clean GPS Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had recently asked where some of you mounted your external GPS units. I didn't get an overwhelming response so I figured I'd do my own thing. I'm VERY picky about visible wires and don't like leaving things plugged in to the cig lighter.

Wife bought me a TomTom GPS for Xmas and an ipod to OEM adapter. The TomTom was too wide to put behind the panel where the tractional control is. Here's what I did:

3235c60a.gif

Here is where I mounted it, you have to get rid of the traction control button

6645dd00.gif

Go get something like this from radio shack for 9 bucks. From what I've read you can't just cut the cig cord and hardwire a GPS or you'll fry it b/c of the volts. I just cut these clamps off, hardwired this and plugged the GPS cig plug into that

475f8e55.gif

Alcohol is your friend. Scrub the hell out of any surface your going to put the adhesive plate onto

48da4649.gif

Remove the dash trim

56bcbbed.gif

Traction control button once you take the box apart...I also shorted the light out. I just tucked the button back into the dash. That light gets hot and I didn't want it to touch a wire loom or something and end up burning through it

81f8af84.gif

b5ed20e1.gif

Put the blanks back in place and wipe them down with alcohol

e3c9c563.gif

Cut the clamps off. The positive can stay bare wire. Take the negative and crimp a horseshoe terminal on the wire...you'll be grounding it next.
5fbb3c3d.gif

I grounded it to this screw just above the parking brake

74dc0234.gif

d9838fcd.gif

Now you need power. Make sure you use a fuse that has power ONLY when the key is on ACC or the truck is running. I used this 15A fuse on the top left part of the panel.

13bddc9e.gif

Put the adhesive disc on the blanks. Let it sit for awhile before mounting the GPS on it. Run the wire behind the carpet and up behind the dash over to the blanks and put the dash trim back in place

7baacd62.gif

4972b276.gif

Final product

b0285f58.gif

2cc2adb8.gif

8a5468dc.gif

All in all I like having it here. I can unhook it easily when I'm not in the car and no wires are visible anywhere. I wanted to have power running to it when the truck is on but didn't want to have to plug and unplug it each time to get it. This works out well.

Last edited:

vamike78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's awesome! That's almost exactly what I want to do for my iPhone. I've got an '02 Tahoe with the OnStar box right there (that doesn't work), so I was planning on taking it out and putting a plain piece of plastic there to mount the cradle on.

OP
OP
Narco

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im gonna get a swivel mount for my iphone and put it closer to me. while i had the dash apart i went ahead and installed the ipod adapter to use with the oem stereo. crutchfield sells lots of mounts.

OP
OP
Narco

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
honored to have your 1st post sir =) thank you

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Looks good. I've gotta come up with something to do with my iPhone. I didn't know there was an adapter for the OEM stereo...I'm going to have to look into that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JIMEMAC33