How hot do these get? (resistors)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
s-l225.jpg

Everyone has seen these "ebay resistors" and uses them when it comes to newer vehicles and hyper flash issues. My question is how hot do they get? I would be worried they would get too hot and damage stuff the touch? I suppose you could bolt them onto metal and make sure they are clear of anything surrounding them. Just wondered if there was a better option for resistors as I would really like to do a set of switchback LED's in my running lights / turn signals.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Our NNBS trucks don't have a flasher like the older trucks, the flashing is controlled by the body control module (BCM). It is required by law that a manufacturer produces the vehicle so that it warns you that you have a bulb out, for safety reasons. So they program the BCM to check for a certain amount of resistance on the turn signal circuits. If the BCM senses less rresistance/amperage draw than normal it recognizes this as a bulb being out and starts to flash the turn signal more rapidly (hyper flash) to alert you to the problem. LEDs draw less amperage than a standard bulb so the BCM thinks there is a bulb out and hyper flashes to indicate there is a problem.

So basically what WAMS does is program out the bulb outage detection so that it will flash at a normal rate, thus eliminating the problem of hot resistors potentially melting things. You remove your BCM and send it to them and they reflash it and send it back. The only issue is if you do have a bulb go out you won't know it without actually seeing it because it won't hyper flash to tell you.

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our NNBS trucks don't have a flasher like the older trucks, the flashing is controlled by the body control module (BCM). It is required by law that a manufacturer produces the vehicle so that it warns you that you have a bulb out, for safety reasons. So they program the BCM to check for a certain amount of resistance on the turn signal circuits. If the BCM senses less rresistance/amperage draw than normal it recognizes this as a bulb being out and starts to flash the turn signal more rapidly (hyper flash) to alert you to the problem. LEDs draw less amperage than a standard bulb so the BCM thinks there is a bulb out and hyper flashes to indicate there is a problem.

So basically what WAMS does is program out the bulb outage detection so that it will flash at a normal rate, thus eliminating the problem of hot resistors potentially melting things. You remove your BCM and send it to them and they reflash it and send it back. The only issue is if you do have a bulb go out you won't know it without actually seeing it because it won't hyper flash to tell you.

Man, what did we do before bulb out warnings? Oh I know, check our vehicles once in a while.....lol. Silly people needs lights and warnings for everything now.

OP
OP
Denali2k8

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$200 is salty for the few things they do. I wonder who else can crack the BCM and flash it. can't take much time etc....

kbuskill

Reaction score
Yeah... it's stupid government over regulation at its finest.

The only other option is to "try" to get a dealer to do it but they have to get the program from GM and the one I went to said GM won't allow it.

OR

Try to find a GM up fitter that is willing to do it. Up fitters are the companies that do conversion vans and snow plow trucks and the work body/tool box body beds because those trucks run LED taillights and snow plows have LED signals up front.... either way it won't be much cheaper I wouldn't think.

The guy that I linked can also change other parameters in the BCM as well, not just lighting stuff, like adding or removing different features.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Is it hard to remove the BCM? @kbuskill

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, back in the day they hyper-flashed because they used a bi-metal strip in the flasher, and one bulb didn't make that much resistance, so instead of it springing far away from the contact like 2 bulbs would make it do, it just jumped a little, then touched right back. Hence the hyper-blink.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Is it hard to remove the BCM? @kbuskill

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

I have never pulled one in the NNBS. I replaced mine in my first gen Escalade but that is whole different animal. I need to pull mine and send it to WAMS but haven't had the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE