How do you rekey a lock cylinder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a lock cylinder I got from the wrecking yard for $25 (new @ dealer $280). My old one is not springing back. I suppose I could add a type of external spring but I'd rather get this used one working if possible.

I'm trying to avoid paying the dealer $90.00

99a7b30b140fde8be60ada8e22933885.jpg
48adcb30543e74032160b97cc5f2b745.jpg

Looking for a tutorial on how to disassemble and reassemble to match my key.

Also, I cannot get my key into my drive side and passenger side doors! What do you think? Gummed up? They don't turn at all I can't even get the key in. If not for my remote I can't won't be able to get it.

Are the door lock cylinders similar to the tailgate lock cylinders?

Thanks for looking!

]

Last edited:

HoS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a new car and the cylinder on it is crap, the out of town dealership agreed to fix it local (gmc dealership)
$211.8 all in.

07 yukon Denali XL

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a lock cylinder I got from the wrecking yard for $25 (new @ dealer $280). My old one is not springing back. I suppose I could add a type of external spring but I'd rather get this used one working if possible.

I'm trying to avoid paying the dealer $90.00

99a7b30b140fde8be60ada8e22933885.jpg
48adcb30543e74032160b97cc5f2b745.jpg

Looking for a tutorial on how to disassemble and reassemble to match my key.

Also, I cannot get my key into my drive side and passenger side doors! What do you think? Gummed up? They don't turn at all I can't even get the key in. If not for my remote I can't won't be able to get it.

Are the door lock cylinders similar to the tailgate lock cylinders?

Thanks for looking!

]

First, Locksmith. You can't possibly have the tools and tumblers/springs needed to do this job yourself, let alone the know how and steady hand required.

Second, your doors probably are the origanal key and the ignition cylinder was replaced with a salvage yard cylinder and the key you have. If you want to do this right, take the car to a locksmith and have him re-key the cylinder to the door locks so that you can use the same key for everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcostamagna