how cold should the rear AC be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T3rry

T3rry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did some more testing and changing from heat to cold seems to have no effect as well, so i think i may have nailed it... either that or it's because i removed the rear hvac controls.... damn... i totally forgot about that, i guess i'll have to check that first.

OP
OP
T3rry

T3rry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alrght, i'm lost, the actuators are all working fine, i found a large sensor looking thing near the rear fan and removed it, inside i saw what appeared to be an AC condenser... i felt the tubes, and it was not cold, even with AC on and turned up...

any ideas: if this is an AC condenser; why it would not be cooling down?

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The condenser is in front of the radiator. The truck has 2 evaporators one in the back and one in the front. If the evaporator is not cold and the charge is correct ( read the AC tag under the hood and make sure they put the correct amount in) the rear expansion valve is not working

OP
OP
T3rry

T3rry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The condenser is in front of the radiator. The truck has 2 evaporators one in the back and one in the front. If the evaporator is not cold and the charge is correct ( read the AC tag under the hood and make sure they put the correct amount in) the rear expansion valve is not working

ok, i'll check the rear expansion valve... i hope i can fix that without draining the system again.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

damn, just looking at some reading, looks like this is a rear orfice tube thing, i really wish they;d have had some shutoff valves so part of the system could be serviced without draining and refilling the whole damn thing, this is getting really expensive, i guess i'll call the shop that did it and see if they can drain and recharge it for a reasonable price, given the ****** circumstances.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T3rry

T3rry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dealer wants $200 for the rear expansion valve and says there's no way to clean it or if there's a filter i can change out, hes says i have to change the valve... well i guess no rear AC for me... i just paid $250 for my AC recharge, i'm not going to go pay that again to change this $200 part, that's another $500 added to the cost of this damn thing.

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop should only charge you the labor for the drain and refill of the ac system assuming you are going to change the valve your self. Seeing how they just charged it the system should still be full. They can pull it back out and keep it in their machine until you bring it back for a recharge. At least that is what I would due for one of my customers in this situation.

OP
OP
T3rry

T3rry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, well it's still $200 for the valve, and what seems like a lot of work, not sure it's worth it for me.

Last edited:

bartman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i just had to go through all this too, compressor piled up in my 2001 yukon. it is the expansion valve, i did the compressor, drier and orifice tube. cold enough to freeze a guys nuts in the front but the rear blows lukewarm. i did some searching before i did anything and its recommended that you replace that valve when the compressor goes but i cheaped out. i don't care, don't ever sit back there anyways.

OP
OP
T3rry

T3rry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just had to go through all this too, compressor piled up in my 2001 yukon. it is the expansion valve, i did the compressor, drier and orifice tube. cold enough to freeze a guys nuts in the front but the rear blows lukewarm. i did some searching before i did anything and its recommended that you replace that valve when the compressor goes but i cheaped out. i don't care, don't ever sit back there anyways.

yeah, if i had known about it beforehand, i probably would have done it, but in all the info i read i never saw any mention of the rear valve..

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont worry, my rear expansion valve needs replaced too. No rear AC. I deal with it. its not THAT bad. As for how cold, if your ac system is blowing 40 degrees below ambient temp, then its working VERY well. Especially in an area with high humidity, like where i live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n240sxlover