Horrible Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troxclair88

Reaction score
2005 Chevrolet Tahoe 4.8 Liter V8

Whenever I change my engine oil, i have great acceleration power for about 300-500 miles. After, my acceleration power decreases drastically. If I'm on a flat road, I have to wait about three seconds for a response from my engine. If I am on an incline, I have to wait eight to ten seconds for a response. Sometimes even longer. I know that I have a check engine light on with an error code for an evap leak. But the light is on right after I change the oil too.

What can be causing such a drop in acceleration power? What can I do to not make it drop? I just simply want great acceleration power constantly. Help?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any difference in your oil pressure between oil change and 500 miles? Have you tracked down your EVAP issue? I would solve the EVAP issue and then see if it still happens.

OP
OP
troxclair88

troxclair88

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response.
I switched out my purge solenoid. CEL stayed off for awhile but eventually came back on. No further success with evap leak.
There is no pressure change.
This has me stumped..

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt your issue has anything to do with just changing the oil. I would first check obvious things like unplugged or cracked vacuum hoses, plug wires, etc.

OP
OP
troxclair88

troxclair88

Reaction score
I've had the vehicle tested at a small local shop. Something they called a smoke test. Hooked some canister up said smoke would come out where the evap leak was. No luck.

I've sprayed every vacuum hose I can find with carburetor cleaner while the engine was running to see if it raised the acceleration. No luck.

I don't know what else to do in reference to that evap leak except ignore it (only if I could, huh?), bring it to a dealership, or keep praying that I find it myself.

Could you evap leak really cause no decreased acceleration for a little and then the decrease?

Like I said, stumped right now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645