Hood rattle - bouncing fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since buying my 2005 Tahoe the hood seemed to be loose and banging around a bit. It moved up and down a 1/4 inch or so while driving. Kind of annoying. You could see it loose looking out at the hood while seated in the drivers seat.

I had many attempts at adjusting the two bumper screws and the latch itself. I also bought those rubber side bumpers as well to see if that would fix it. But nothing seemed to resolve the issue.

In the past with other vehicles I have always been able to take up the slack by adjusting the latch down. So I thought... "what the heck"? I kind of gave up at that point...thinking it must have been related to some kind of accident damage or something. Something was tweaked that i couldn't see for some reason.

Well...here were are a few years later. I decided to buy a new hood latch and try that. Lo and behold the slack is gone, there is no noise from the hood area and the whole hood is much more rigid. Basically like new.

I held up both new and old hood latched side by side and you could see where the round metal bar that seats down into the latch wore a groove into it.

So just in case you think you have tried everything...try replacing the latch...especially if its the original. Also check the hood bar that goes into the latch. It may be on its way out as well.

715ARN+WnVL._SL1500_.jpg

51gtmGMJ29L.jpg

Last edited: