** ** ** CK156 REPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
al2fast

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too worked up over my wheels being el crapo. I was an ignorant buyer when it came to the finish. So, I added new wheels, tires, and lug nuts all at once. Plus this is a garage queen. I drive it one night a week to do a 50 mile round trip to school. I drive it on weekends and only 2 weekends a month I get it on the highway.

I bought this Yukon and within 2 weeks had these wheels and tires. I had 2 or 3 tanks of gas tops on the factory setup and I sure thought to myself at the time it sure doesn't ride a whole lot better than my old Sierra Denali, and like that 08 SD it rides rougher for the first few minutes, I just get some flat spots on my tires from it sitting so much and the countryish main drag by my house has one coat of blacktop on it over the base so it may be fresher blacktop but in winter it looks like a roller coaster and I know it sure isn't flat.

It is butter smooth with the 22's and perfectly quiet until about 50 when I start feeling the small vibration/hum. I hardly put any miles on this pig with the other wheels and tires and it had way more of the "new car" feeling so I was playing with bells and whistles and getting comfortable just driving a new ride. It may have very well made this vibration with the stock tires, I was never thoroughly impressed with the ride, I had HIGH expectations and I did test drive it 3 times prior to purchase, comparing the ride to my pickup truck.

I have taken notice in my shit box (PT Loser company car) that it too starts to get some of the hum/vibration up on the highway and it has some Goodyears with only 20k on them, 15 or 16" inch wheels, I don't know.

The wheel doesn't shake, it could very well be just the noise from the tires and I think this thing should ride better than it does. I have to do some more troubleshooting and 2 shops said tires were balanced and the 2nd one (road force balance checked all 4) took it for a ride and told me that it rode awesome and it was the tires and that was life with 22's and couldn't find anything worn or broken.

Me being a car guy and **** about my shit I always think I could make it better. Say when I got my Sierra Denali in 2010 and was convinced my 6.2 had some issue because it idled rough. Everything I read said no they idle rough and then when I got my tune Justin (Blackbear) said that's the way they are and I was finally at peace with it when he upped the idle RPM to show me it goes away at a few more RPM. I guess I'll have to ask him in a little over a week when I get my tune done if he thinks it vibrates or rides different than the hundreds of trucks he sat in for a tune!!

Enough of my book. If I do ever find anything wrong with my truck I will post up. Otherwise I'm going to get it detailed in the next few weeks and the next time you see these PVD's they will be all shined up and coated and the rest of my rig will be all shined up.

Just don't want people getting the wrong idea about the wheels by some of my earlier posts. Time will tell how they hold up. And these 22's only weigh a few pounds more than the 20" stock chrome wheels with the same model tire on them, Go lighter PVD!

Last edited:

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @al2fast for taking the time to explain to me. I am with you in that I get a little uptight and perfectionist with certain things in my cars too. My pickup is in the shop now getting the rear leafs rearched because the ride isn't right. This is my 3rd time going back to get the ride just dialed in. With that said...I am actually pretty damn happy with the factory ride in my Yukon. Granted mine is a 2015 and I think is the previous body style. I hate to feel like Im f-ing up a good thing. Id rather be safe than sorry. I appreciate your feedback and you being honest with your concerns. I hate when people blow smoke and build things up they do as always perfect and "night and day difference". I am glad Ive heard your concerns and will get the wheels checked out before mounting them to make sure they are true and balanced themselves. Thanks goodinblack for that tip.

The wheels look awesome al2fast and looks wise I am very exited about them. Please do update when you get more results and I will do the same. Good Luck getting it dialed in!

OP
OP
al2fast

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LekGMC, it appears that the problem with my truck is me. I have taken it in for a 3rd opinion basically. I had the tranny flushed, transfer case and axle lubes changed out and had them take it for a ride. This is the shop local to me that I've used before and have been very happy with them. The guy at this place is very particular and he said he couldn't feel a damn thing and they too could not find anything wrong with my Yukon. It rides even smoother now, we'll see the change after I get the nannies turned off on this upcoming Monday with my BlackBear tune!!

On a somber note I scratched 2 of the wheels already. Took it through a car wash about 2 weeks ago and didn't have it lined up perfect and I felt it kind of push to the left. The guy at the shop today pointed out the dingers in the wheels and if it were curb rash I would expect to see something on the tires. Time to find some chrome paint to touch it up now!

I just need to drive this thing some more and enjoy it. The more I drive it the less I feel any of the vibration I thought I felt before. I guess I've been paying attention to other cars I've been in and realize that they all have some form of the "vibration" that I feel on mine. Will get a nice detail in a few weeks and I'll get some pics up then with a proper shine. Gotta guinea pig the wife's ride at the new place first! I can put on a coat of polish and clay a car, but I'm a swirl machine with my machine!

Last edited:

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @al2fast for the update. Makes me feel better about my wheels. Mine are at the powder coater as we speak getting blacked out. As per @goodinblack's recommendation, I took my wheels down to my local America Tire (discount tire elsewhere in the country) and had them spin the wheels to make sure they were true and balanced. I watched them do it and all the wheels were perfect! So I'm feeling better that these wheels should be just as good as stock.

That sucks al2fast that your issue isn't solved for you (even if it is in your head). I know how that is, I'm very particular and I notice little things with my cars that other people don't. At least nothing major seems to be f-ed up! And you could always just powder coat your wheels black like me! Hehe. I'll post pics when I get them on, either late this week or early next week.

OP
OP
al2fast

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @al2fast for the update. Makes me feel better about my wheels. Mine are at the powder coater as we speak getting blacked out. As per @goodinblack's recommendation, I took my wheels down to my local America Tire (discount tire elsewhere in the country) and had them spin the wheels to make sure they were true and balanced. I watched them do it and all the wheels were perfect! So I'm feeling better that these wheels should be just as good as stock.

That sucks al2fast that your issue isn't solved for you (even if it is in your head). I know how that is, I'm very particular and I notice little things with my cars that other people don't. At least nothing major seems to be f-ed up! And you could always just powder coat your wheels black like me! Hehe. I'll post pics when I get them on, either late this week or early next week.

Well the last half dozen or so times I've driven it since I rotated the tires I wonder what I was feeling because I sure don't feel it. Maybe the first minute or 2 after the truck sits and the flat spots even out, but other than that it has been pretty smooth. I'm pretty confident a lot of the difference is the different tires, they respond to the road different. The tires I drove for the last 5 years were A/T Cooper Zeons and these Bridgestones give some different feedback on different surfaces as opposed to those tires.

Discount Tire is where I got my tires and they did the initial balance that 2 other shops said was spot on. I was happy with my service there, wish they had rims I wanted as I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

I'm confident my problem is solved. My truck is not broken, it just is different than my previous Sierra Denali and I can only hope I like this one as much as that truck.

Can't wait for the pics!

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a straight shot...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 22

Denarli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's REALLY nice! It looks like satin black.

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's REALLY nice! It looks like satin black.

Thanks man! Yup, Satin was exactly what I was going for. I like that when they drive, they have just enough gloss to show the dimension of the wheel and it kinda glistens when driving. I like a flatter black wheel but didn't want them to be a chalky, super flat black.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

BTW...thanks @goodinblack for the tips to make sure the wheels were true. I got to say @al2fast that I don't notice any difference in ride at all. Wheels and tires feel very smooth and I honestly can't notice any effect in ride quality. I couldn't be happier with them.

Last edited: