Hissing sound on recirculate - 09' Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gav70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 09' Tahoe LTZ and I just noticed that when i have the A/C running with the fan on the lowest speed and air on recirculate, there is a loud hissing sound that comes from the passenger side air vent in the dash. It starts around 45mph and gets louder as I drive faster. If I hit the recirculate button to turn off recirculate, it goes away. When I hit it again to turn it on, it comes back. Took it to the dealership and they tried to palm it off by telling me that my windshield sealant is wearing off and air is leaking in from there. I think its total BS because they could not explain properly why it is related to the recirculate button and i have taken it to many car washes. I'm sure water would have come in if it was the windshield. I don't want to get a windshield replaced just to prove them wrong.

Just wondering if any other members have experienced the same issue and have any suggestions to possible causes and fixes?

Your responses are greatly appreciated! :roflbow::roflbow:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that you are experiencing a issue with your Tahoe and had it checked out by your preferred dealership, gav70. I am sorry to hear that you are in your current vehicle situation. I might not be able to provide you any guidance on how to fix this but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a sound coming from the passenger side and only on recirculate you might want to drop the glove box down and look up in the dash. You might have something stuck or sucked in to the fan motor. A tech at the dealership told me that if you have a lot of paper or napkins shoved in the glove box, it is possible for it to get sucked in to the fan motor when the recirculate door is open. You should be able to see the door moving when you push the button. Once you have located it turn the air off and reach up in there to feel around for any foreign objects or use a mirror.

OP
OP
G

gav70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it's a sound coming from the passenger side and only on recirculate you might want to drop the glove box down and look up in the dash. You might have something stuck or sucked in to the fan motor. A tech at the dealership told me that if you have a lot of paper or napkins shoved in the glove box, it is possible for it to get sucked in to the fan motor when the recirculate door is open. You should be able to see the door moving when you push the button. Once you have located it turn the air off and reach up in there to feel around for any foreign objects or use a mirror.

I'm travelling right now but I will check this out as soon as i return and will post a response(2 weeks). I appreciate your insight.

---------- Post added at 10:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

I understand that you are experiencing a issue with your Tahoe and had it checked out by your preferred dealership, gav70. I am sorry to hear that you are in your current vehicle situation. I might not be able to provide you any guidance on how to fix this but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Jennifer,

I not able to send you a private message because I'm not a level 10. Could you please email me at [email protected] and I can give you additional info if required.

Best Regards
Gaurav

OP
OP
G

gav70

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

My glove box is empty. That's how I usually like it since it out of reach anyways when I'm driving.

I took a glance in my glove box and it seemed totally enclosed. I was not able to look up the dash. Is that a door or flap that opens up?

I also found the below link to a diagnosis by a user "ScottL4619" that might be what my issue is. The adhesive foam starts to come off and causes a hissing sound.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-7836.html

I will try this out this week and post a response to see if it worked for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Naileddown