hid offroad lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
destroyer1362

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
So moving along.. If I were to put 3000k to 4500k in these lights would that give me the most usable light output. I know once you get into 8k and above usable light lessens.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They'll work if they make a short enough HID bulb to fit you're housing. I've got some of the Hella 500's with H3 HIDs... I had to cut a hole in the back of the platic light housing for the wires to feed through, but they came with a grommet so they are sealed up tight. The ballasts can be mounted to the back side of the bumper

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run hids in my aux off road lights with no problem. as long as you have the right bulb (most likely H3), and a glass lens and metal housing for the lights, (rather than plastic) you'll be fine

OP
OP
destroyer1362

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
Well I installed the lights. I'll change them to hid's a little later but here are some pics just for the hell of it.
IMAG0193.jpg

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a bit late to the party, BUT...

While HID offroad lights have the cool factor and provide a nice flood type beam, for anyone who is looking for a more of a spot/pinpoint type beam which is usefull for night driving take a look at these.... Aircraft landing lights that are used on a Boeing 747-200!!! Part# GE4537.

I have two of these mounted to the front bumper. They throw WAY more light than my HID lows. When these are lit up, I swear I can see at least a kilometer or two down the road. As much as I'm HID happy, these lights blow them out of the water. It turns night into day. Needless to say, they are not road legal so use them when you don't see taillights or headlights.
picture.jpg
picture.jpg

There is a downside. They have a 25hour lifespan. I seem to be changing mine out every 1.5 months or so, but at $10 each who cares.

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
The difference is that is that our light housings arent designed to use hids. If they were, we would all see a huge difference...in your sig pic it looks like you have fluted lenses that might cause so changes in light pattern...but im doubting those aircraft lights arent bright. how many amps do they draw?

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the link posted:

Wattage: 100W, 100 Watt Watts
Voltage: 13V, 13 Volt Volts
Amperage: 7.69A
Glass: PAR46, PAR 46, 5.75" Maximum Diameter, Flat Face
Base: Screw Terminals
Beam Spread: Spot, 11° - 10 % Horizontal, 6° - 10 % Vertical
Center Beam Candle Power: MBCP 200,000
Maximum Overall Length: 3.13"/79.5mm
Maximum Overall Diameter: 5.75"/146mm
Filament: C-6, C6
Average Rated Life: 25 hours
Gas: Vacuum, Incandescent

Aircraft, Landing

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My headlights lens are clear, but the reflectors are shaped.
picture.jpg

And I think that your on to something here about reflector shapes. Why are these 100watt aircraft landing lights so much brighter than say silverstar 100w bulbs? I think it's because they are very much a spot type of beam, very little light seperation due to the shape of the reflector. In fact they were very hard to line up so that they point straight forward.
picture.jpg

I think the off-road lights are more of a flood type beam.
I was just offering a different type of beam type for people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900