HELP: Removal '96 FUEL RAIL by intake manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95gatl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

Wonder if y'all can assist me with an issue with my 96 tahoe 5.7.
I replaced the spider fuel injection with the latest upgraded part. Doing that you have to remove the Upper intake manifold. Everything has been serviced , completed and put back together, however, I busted the fuel rail (metal/steel) somehow and now there is a leak. Guess I bent it too far putting back on the upper intake manifold.

Chevy doesn't have a replacement parts, SO, I need to take this fuel rail off and rig it. HOW DO I TAKE THIS FUEL RAIL OFF???? For reference, this is the fuel rail that goes into the "spider fuel injection" and back towards the firewall. Probably 15" long total? It's steel and I cannot figure out how to get it off on the "firewall" side.

Please help....this beast has been sitting in my garage since this weekend.

Appreciate it. :)

Mcoffey24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Each line has a fitting just between the fire wall and back of your engine and yes they are a ***** to get to. I think I used a crescent wrench and a 15mm wrench. They also have a bracket bolted to the back of the block, if I remember right its a 13MM nut (a gear wrench makes this easy) Good luck!

OP
OP

95gatl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For reference, I know how to take off the fuel rail that goes into the spider fuel injection like this:
fuelrail.jpg

But I need help on removing this part of the fuel rail:
fuelrail1.jpg

There is a 19mm bolt on the back of the fuel rail bracket, which I have not attempted to take off yet. I don't want to break something else.

Please help.....
Thanks,
Brian

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Each line has a fitting just between the fire wall and back of your engine and yes they are a ***** to get to. I think I used a crescent wrench and a 15mm wrench. They also have a bracket bolted to the back of the block, if I remember right its a 13MM nut (a gear wrench makes this easy) Good luck!

Yes, definitely a ***** to get to. I am finding that it is a 19mm. So if I loosen the nut, the fuel rail will come out? Or is there something else involved?
Do I need to loosen BOTH fuel rails (i believe one is a return line). I broke the supply line....3/8" if I recall...the bigger one.
Thanks again.
Brian

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Ok....I climbed into the engine compartment and had a good look back at the firewall.

I see the 13mm (or so) bolt holding the "fuel rail bracket" to the block. I see the fuel line (from the fuel tank area) going up to the firewall and connecting to the fuel rail bracket....those fittings may be the 15-17mm size. Ok, got that. Can't get my wrench on it.....damn, do they make a special tool?

Now after further investigation, I doesn't look like i'm going to be able to repair the line. Chevy dealer does NOT make replacement parts.....

Now what do I do???
Anyone make aftermarket?
I don't wanna tackle junk yards.

Mcoffey24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used a fuel fitting wrench like this

http://www.classiccarauto.com/impala/how_to/images/chevy_fuel_pump/5-8_line_wrench.jpg

Yes once you loosen both the return and main line then remove the nut holding the bracket to the block and the bracket going into the MFI unit the two lines will be out. Just some advice when installing the new lines start at the two fittings then the bracket on the back of the block then push them down into the MFI unit. Its really hard the get the threads to start straight on the fitting if you do it any other way. I have not had to replace mine so im not sure where to by a new one.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
You've got a few options...
  1. bend your own line(s) from straight tubing
  2. replace with AN fittings and flex hose

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879