Help me not suck at washing my truck lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends where you live ... the water in some areas is so hard, unless wiped off it will leave calcium deposits on the paint, it doesn't matter what paint protection one uses.

jerrito1

Reaction score
Can we please stop mucking this thread up for people who might be actually interested in keeping a black car swirl free?

There is NO reason to spend a lot of time drying a car........ with proper paint protection the water sheets off anyway

Depends how the water is where you live. When I was in Florida, the water has a lot of minerals and if you don't dry it off you will have some hard water spots.

coolchuck

maybe Escalade bound?
Reaction score
I got tears coming down my face from this thread.:happy107: but did you ever get that truck clean?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends where you live ... the water in some areas is so hard, unless wiped off it will leave calcium deposits on the paint, it doesn't matter what paint protection one uses.

Who said anything about leaving the water on the truck? :shrug:

Wipe your truck dry..... always.

Paint protection does matter and does make a difference. Proper protection can and will prevent etching.

Last edited:

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job Lee, nothing to worry about for your truck especially with Colinite on there.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just lucky, but a drive through soft cloth car wash every couple of weeks, and a full detail twice a year and none of my vehicles (black or otherwise) have swirl marks of my own doing. The only one that had them was the HyHoe and that was from the previous owner.

I simply have neither the time or the energy/will to spend hours washing and waxing a vehicle this size, climbing on roofs, etc ... especially when invariably I'll run over a random puddle ten minutes later and consequently flip my lid. But I do appreciate that many folks actually enjoy the whole process and find the results rewarding, not to mention $ saving. But it's just not my thing ... there are a finite amount of hours in the day and there are about a thousand things I'd rather do than toil away washing a giant SUV.

All that said, even I know not to use paper towels to dry my truck ... I of course use steel wool.

OP
OP
BEEMDUB

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
I got tears coming down my face from this thread.:happy107: but did you ever get that truck clean?

Well I gave it a go yesterday evening, I was kinda in a rush because I went to my uncles to watch Mayweather tear up guerrero :D But I used the two bucket method, my power washer and foam gun attachment, microfiber towels to dry, a big microfiber mitt to wash the lower parts and dirtier parts, and a thinner microfiber for windows and up high...Here was my process

1. sprayed the car with the washer to get off all the loose dirt
2. foamed up the side and then washed it with the mits, then immediately rinsed it, I did this to every side of the car and went around the car twice side by side.
3. Used about 10 microfiber towels to dry (my dad helped me out he wanted to hurry so we could go watch the fight haha ) didn't have time to do my wheels and tires :( I'm gonna try to do them today....heres some pics

temporary_zps515118a9.jpg

temporary_zps4432f9ce.jpg

temporary_zps4b19d0f2.jpg

temporary_zps677348fc.jpg

Last edited:

AdamsPolishes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

OP, sounds like your technique is fairly solid. For drying, you need a dedicated waffle weave drying towel. Standard plush MF towels aren't designed to be absorbent.

Our Great White Drying Towel fits the bill perfectly here. It's incredibly absorbent, traps and dirt/grime you may have missed when washing (chamois will drag this dirt/grime all over your paint), and one of them will dry your entire truck if you use Detail Spray as a drying agent.

Take a look through our Instructional Detailing Videos when you get a chance, they are very helpful and cover almost any detailing-related situation you could encounter.

OP
OP
BEEMDUB

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

OP, sounds like your technique is fairly solid. For drying, you need a dedicated waffle weave drying towel. Standard plush MF towels aren't designed to be absorbent.

Our Great White Drying Towel fits the bill perfectly here. It's incredibly absorbent, traps and dirt/grime you may have missed when washing (chamois will drag this dirt/grime all over your paint), and one of them will dry your entire truck if you use Detail Spray as a drying agent.

Take a look through our Instructional Detailing Videos when you get a chance, they are very helpful and cover almost any detailing-related situation you could encounter.

I think I've taken a look at your guys towel at an oreilleys before.....Why is it better than say a water sprite or a good chamois?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas