Help In Diagnosing Airbag Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Bummer! Strange thing is my BT scanner found the ABS problem I have, but simply can’t find the SRS.
I’ll perhaps leave the airbag problem to a rainy day and jump into the ABS problem. Thanks for all the input!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most of them have a little disclaimer such as this one, and oddly enough almost all the bt readers out there are based on the same chipset, they just slap there own name on it.

View attachment 259583
I was asking about the ones that you showed the features on the back of the box and the 3140 says it does ABS and SRS but you’re saying they don’t work for SRS on our trucks, so I was wondering if there’s a disclaimer stating they do work on that function but not on our rigs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was asking about the ones that you showed the features on the back of the box and the 3140 says it does ABS and SRS but you’re saying they don’t work for SRS on our trucks, so I was wondering if there’s a disclaimer stating they do work on that function but not on our rigs.
I was referring to wired scanners, those all work as far as I know as long as they have the feature, there is just something about the wireless ones that won't it appears some will read a abs code, if you look at the bluetooth adapters out there most of them use the ELM chipset and there are tons of knockoffs on the market, some will read ford but not gm
on elmallobd's website this guy had hit and miss with the elm chip depending the year and model such as
CHEVROLET
Aveo (2009) PCM SRS
Caprice (1996) (Only PCM)
Caprice (2007) PCM ABS
Cruze (2009-14) PCM ABS EPS
Captiva (2007-09) PCM ABS
Envoy (2005-08) PCM ABS
Kalos (2006-08) PCM ABS
Matiz (2003-09) PCM
Nubira (2001-03) (Only PCM)
Nubira (2008) PCM
Spark (2008-12) PCM ABS EPS
Tahoe (2000) PCM ABS
GMC
Yucon (2000-01) PCM SRS CLI TCCM TCM
Trailblazer (2005-08) PCM ABS

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was referring to wired scanners, those all work as far as I know as long as they have the feature, there is just something about the wireless ones that won't it appears some will read a abs code, if you look at the bluetooth adapters out there most of them use the ELM chipset and there are tons of knockoffs on the market, some will read ford but not gm
on elmallobd's website this guy had hit and miss with the elm chip depending the year and model such as
CHEVROLET
Aveo (2009) PCM SRS
Caprice (1996) (Only PCM)
Caprice (2007) PCM ABS
Cruze (2009-14) PCM ABS EPS
Captiva (2007-09) PCM ABS
Envoy (2005-08) PCM ABS
Kalos (2006-08) PCM ABS
Matiz (2003-09) PCM
Nubira (2001-03) (Only PCM)
Nubira (2008) PCM
Spark (2008-12) PCM ABS EPS
Tahoe (2000) PCM ABS
GMC
Yucon (2000-01) PCM SRS CLI TCCM TCM
Trailblazer (2005-08) PCM ABS
Gotcha

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Well...first off...you know you’re a gear head when you’re working on the truck on a Friday night.

Anyways, I got under there and took a look at the front sensors and they both appear to be cracked from the looks of it.73E00803-37FC-42FD-9FB9-377DD05BFA04.jpeg

Not only that but I found a leak...

A6A1AB82-5CEE-4E96-A96E-0AAEDBC1C501.jpeg

This leak may be beyond my skill level, but I’ll toss out the question anyways: anyone know what could cause this and method of fixing?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...first off...you know you’re a gear head when you’re working on the truck on a Friday night.

Anyways, I got under there and took a look at the front sensors and they both appear to be cracked from the looks of it.View attachment 259673

Not only that but I found a leak...

View attachment 259680

This leak may be beyond my skill level, but I’ll toss out the question anyways: anyone know what could cause this and method of fixing?
Is the leak coming from the transmission cooler lines that go from the trans to the radiator? If so, they’re not terribly difficult to replace so it depends on your skill level. As for the sensors, it looks like the common problem but you should go to an auto parts store and have the codes read because those are expensive. I didn’t realize they’re about $175 each.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Yup...you’re exactly right! Thanks! Transmission cooler lines. Hopefully I’ll be able to fix them like this guy did (although after fixing them he found that they were rusted through in a separate place and had to replace them anyhow).

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the codes do point to one or the other sensor, be sure to match the item number for the new one as Eric O. stated.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup...you’re exactly right! Thanks! Transmission cooler lines. Hopefully I’ll be able to fix them like this guy did (although after fixing them he found that they were rusted through in a separate place and had to replace them anyhow).

They start to leak around the crimps. I just cut them off and put new transmission hose with clamps and it's been fine and dry so far.